It looks like “The Princess Diaries” could be the next film franchise up for a revival at The Walt Disney Company. According to The Hollywood Reporter, Walt Disney Studios is working on a third film in the franchise. However, star Anne Hathaway’s involvement is not yet confirmed.
Disney Planning Threequel For ‘The Princess Diaries’
THR notes that writer Aadrita Mukerji (“Supergirl,” “Reacher”) is penning the script for the planned sequel. Also, Debra Martin Chase, who produced the first two films, is returning to produce the threequel. However, it’s not yet confirmed if Hathaway will reprise her role as Mia Thermopolis for the first two films. Additionally, co-star Julie Andrews making a return is not yet confirmed either.
THR also reports that plot details on the developing sequel are unconfirmed, but it’s said that the film would continue the story from the last two movies. So, Disney would not go the reboot route for the potential franchise revival.
Speaking to Entertainment Tonight while promoting her new film, “Armageddon Time,” Hathaway did sound open to the idea of a potential onscreen reunion with Andrews as her royal grandmother, Queen Clarisse Renaldi.
Hathway said on the planned sequel, “I would more than entertain it, I’m pulling for it. If there’s any way to get Julie Andrews involved, I think we would make it work.”
Andrews herself also seemed open to the idea while chatting with Entertainment Tonight earlier this year. She commented at the time, “It depends what the story is, and if they can come up with something, that would be wonderful, but if not, there would be other things.”
The original film was released way back in 2001, starring Hathaway and Oscar-winner Andrews. The film was a breakout success, making $108 million domestically and $165 million worldwide. It launched Hathaway into superstardom, and she soon became one of Hollywood’s hottest movie stars.
Andrews and Hathaway both returned for a sequel in 2004, “The Princess Diaries 2: Royal Engagement,” which was also successful. However, the franchise laid dormant ever since. Now, it appears there is some movement for a return to the kingdom of Genovia.
The first two films were directed by the late Garry Marshall, who passed away in 2016. The first film was based on Meg Cabot’s original novel.
While it’s been almost 20 years since “The Princess Diaries 2,” a lengthy wait has never stopped Hollywood from revisiting proven franchises before, especially where Disney is concerned. In September, Disney released a long-awaited sequel to the 1993 film, “Hocus Pocus,” as a direct-to-Disney+ release. The film featured the return of Bette Middler, Sarah Jessica Parker, and Kathy Najimy all reprising their roles as the Sanderson Sisters from the original.
This month will also see the release of “Disenchanted,” the sequel to Disney’s 2007 film “Enchanted,” over 15 years after the original came out. The entire main cast members from the original are all reprising their roles for the sequel, including Amy Adams, Patrick Dempsey, James Marsden, and Idina Menzel. On November 30, Disney+ will debut the new “Willow” television series, which is a direct continuation of the classic 1988 fantasy film.
It appears that the time is coming for “The Princess Diaries” to now have its own nostalgia sequel moment and revival. Hathaway’s latest film, “Armageddon Time,” is now playing in theaters.