It’s been more than a year since Sharon Osbourne‘s controversial exit from “The Talk,” and the former co-host is opening up about the emotional torture she endured as a result of the scandal.
In a recent sit-down with The Sunday Times, Osbourne shared the impact cancel culture had on her mental health and how she sought help to deal with it.
Sharon Osbourne Received Death Threats Following ‘The Talk’ Departure
The British media personality was a co-host on the prestigious daytime talk show for a little over a decade before her time ended in March 2021 after a public misunderstanding with her co-hosts.
As you might know, Osbourne and the women of “The Talk” were discussing Prince Harry and Meghan Markle’s bombshell interview with Oprah Winfrey and Piers Morgan‘s backlash towards the duchess’ claim of suicide.
Osbourne supported her good friend, Morgan, saying that while she didn’t agree with his perspective, she didn’t think it was racist. This led to a heated argument between “The X-Factor” judge and her co-host Sheryl Underwood.
The public outburst from Osbourne wasn’t well-received by fans and eventually led to her resigning from the show, as viewers branded her a racist.
Now, the 69-year-old is discussing the aftermath of the controversy, saying she received death threats from fans.
“They were saying they were going to come in the night, cut my throat, cut Ozzy [Osbourne’s] throat, cut my dogs’ throats,” she revealed.
Osbourne continued, “I said, ‘I ain’t going out, I ain’t doing anything.’ I just couldn’t stop crying because all I was thinking about was all the things that I’ve gone through in my life, and now they’re calling me a racist. This is insanity!”
The 69-year-old shared that the vitriol extended to her work life, and for the first time in a long time, no one gave her a call.
“My phone as far as my TV career here was nonexistent, not one call,” she admitted. “Nothing. In England and Australia, it never changed. Here it was like I was dead.”
‘The Osbournes’ Star Had To Resort To Ketamine Therapy
View this post on Instagram
As a result of the intense trolling, Osbourne shared that she became afraid for her safety and was afraid to leave her house. She had to hire private security who protected her and her family around the clock.
However, apart from the fear of her life, the mother-of-three suffered serious mental setbacks and had to resort to ketamine therapy to keep her sane.
Talking about the controversial treatment, she said, “If you’re a person that stuffs things – ‘I’m fine, I’m fine’ – this drug relaxes you.”
She continued, “You’re not out completely. You can hear, you can talk, but you’re so relaxed, and you can’t bulls— on it. It’s a truth drug.”
A Brand New Show For The British Media Personality
While Osbourne’s career greatly suffered after the backlash, things seem to be picking up for her. Last month, The Blast reported that the 69-year-old teamed up with none other than Morgan for a brand new show with a name eerily similar to her former show.
The controversial journalist broke the news on Twitter, writing, “So happy to be reunited with my un-cancelled & fabulous friend Sharon Osbourne. We’re going to be having a lot of fun on our new TalkTV network … and annoying all the right people. Welcome @MrsSOsbourne.”
In the video accompanying the tweet, Morgan explained why Osbourne was the right partner for the show.
View this post on Instagram
“So what I’m really looking for in my co-workers at TalkTV is somebody who is, well, a bit like me: very opinionated, fearless, funny, know their own mind, not afraid to speak it, unpredictable, maybe a little bit dangerous, and also somebody who every time they open their gobby mouth it makes global news,” the “Good Morning Britain” anchor said.
Osbourne then showed up on the screen and asked her co-anchor, “Um, where do I sign Piers?” Per reports, TalkTV is owned and controlled by Rupert Murdoch’s News UK.