The couple’s decision to skip the memorial is not due to the strain between Harry’s family and Meghan, but rather, the couple is skipping due to security concerns.
Harry has expressed his fears of returning to his homeland without proper security measures.
Harry & Meghan Will Skip Out On Prince Philip’s Memorial
In an exclusive report from Page Six, a spokesperson for the former working members of the royal family said, “The Duke will not be returning to the UK in late March, but hopes to visit his grandmother as soon as possible.”
As The Blast previously reported, Queen Elizabeth II has been ill, and earlier this month sources reported that Queen Elizabeth II, now 95 years old, is no longer going to call Buckingham Palace her home.
England’s longest-reigning monarch had called the Palace her home for most of her record-breaking 70-year reign.
Queen Elizabeth Has Moved Out Of Buckingham Palace
Sources revealed that Queen Elizabeth II will be moving out of Buckingham Palace and into Windsor Castle, where she spent most of her time recovering from her recent COVID-19 diagnosis.
Prince Philip died last April at 99, and since his passing, it has been expected that Harry and Meghan would attend the service and finally introduce their 9-month-old daughter, Lilibet, to the royal family.
The last time Harry & Meghan were together in the UK was in March 2020, prior to the pandemic.
Following their departure from the royal family, their duties, and titles, the couple moved to Montecito, CA.
In February, we reported on Harry’s concerns about his children being in the UK without security protection.
His security was stripped from him when he and Meghan decided to step back from their duties as senior royals.
According to his lawyer, Harry “does not feel safe” bringing his children to the U.K. without an established security team.
On February 18, a preliminary hearing was held in response to Harry’s request to reinstate his U.K-based security team.
Harry Won’t Return To UK With Family Due To Security Concerns
Back in September, Harry filed for an official judicial review to challenge a British government decision that denies him the taxpayer-funded protection he lost access to when he and Meghan stepped away from their royal duties.
Harry has traveled to the U.K. since dropping his royal duties and moving to the USA, but he has never brought his children with him.
Archie is two-years-old and Lilibet “Lili” is nine-months-old.
In a statement obtained by E! News, Harry’s lawyer Shaheed Fatima said, “This claim is about the fact that the Duke does not feel safe when he is in the U.K. given the security arrangements applied to him in June 2021 and will continue to be applied if he decides to come back. It goes without saying that he does want to come back to see family and friends and to continue to support the charities that are so close to his heart. This is and always will be his home.”
The judge basically laughed at the statement and Harry’s wishes.