Bruce Springsteen (left) Donald Trump (right)
Xavier Collin/Image Press Agency/MEGA (left) ZUMAPRESS.com / MEGA (right)

As Stephen Colbert prepares to draw the final curtain on his late-night show, emotions surrounding its cancellation continue to intensify. Bruce Springsteen has now entered the conversation, pointing to Donald Trump as the reason behind Colbert’s departure.

CBS first announced last July that it would be shutting down Colbert’s long-running program, citing financial pressures. At the time, Trump publicly celebrated the decision. 

Now, with only days remaining before the show’s end, Springsteen and late-night icons like Jimmy Kimmel and David Letterman have voiced their sentiments.

Bruce Springsteen Rallies Behind Stephen Colbert While Slamming Donald Trump

Springsteen, who is currently on his America tour, appeared on Colbert’s second-to-last episode, offering a strong show of support and using the moment to criticize the US president.

“I am here tonight to support Stephen, because you’re the first guy in America who lost his show because we’ve got a president who can’t take a joke,” Springsteen said during the May 20 episode. He then aimed at the leadership behind CBS and Paramount.

“And because Larry and David Ellison feel the need to kiss his a– to get what they want,” the “Born in USA” singer added.

Springsteen then told Colbert, “These are small-minded people,” seemingly referring to those who pushed for his exit. “They’ve got no idea what the freedoms of this beautiful country are supposed to be about.”

The rock star also used music to express solidarity, dedicating his song “Streets of Minneapolis” to Colbert, per PEOPLE Magazine. The track, released earlier this year, focuses on the deaths of Alex Pretti and Renee Good during encounters involving ICE agents.

How Jimmy Kimmel Protested Stephen Colbert’s Cancellation

Jimmy Kimmel at the 3rd Annual Rare Impact Fund Benefit 2025
Xavier Collin/Image Press Agency/MEGA

Springsteen’s support follows a similar reaction from Jimmy Kimmel, who also encouraged viewers to boycott CBS after Colbert’s departure.

As The Blast reported, hours earlier, Kimmel addressed the cancellation during the May 20 episode of “Jimmy Kimmel Live!” and reflected on the close bond he has shared with Colbert and his team over the years.

While appreciating Colbert and his team, Kimmel turned his attention to those “who pushed out” the longtime host, and hoped they “feel ashamed of themselves.” He then told his audience to abandon CBS, but only after Colbert’s final broadcast airs.

“Don’t ever watch it again, but watch tomorrow night to wish Stephen and our friends at the ‘Late Show’ a fond farewell,” Kimmel said. 

David Letterman Joined In Defending Stephen Colbert 

David Letterman at the Statue of Liberty Museum opening celebration
ZUMAPRESS.com / MEGA

More reactions from fellow comedians poured in, including from David Letterman, who pioneered the late-night series on CBS. Letterman was fiery with his response when he joined Colbert at the Ed Sullivan Theater last week, openly criticizing the network’s decision to end the show.

According to The Blast, Letterman admitted he was “p-ssed” about the series coming to an end. He reflected on the legacy he helped create and stressed that while television programs may be canceled, people’s voices cannot be silenced.

The moment later took a dramatic turn when both men headed to the rooftop to vent their frustration, shouting toward the network before tossing a guest couch off the building. Letterman jokingly described destroying the company’s furniture as “true joy.”

Stephen Colbert Poked Fun At CBS With Closing Party

Stephen Colbert at An Evening With Stephen Colbert And Tony Gilroy: Andor Season 2
ZUMAPRESS.com / MEGA

Despite Colbert’s imminent exit, he is still determined to find humor in the situation. The 62-year-old hosted an after-party after filming the last episode and turned his cancellation into the party’s theme. 

According to The Blast, sources revealed that the invitation showed a modified version of the program’s signature red, white, and blue logo reading, “The LAST SHOW with Stephen Colbert,” alongside the phrase, “that’s a WRAP! (PARTY).” 

Guests were also reportedly told to follow a “Fired & Festive!” dress code.

Bruce Springsteen Tightened Security Amid ‘Death Threats’ From Trump Supporters

Bruce Springsteen Left Unhurt After Suffering A Terrible Fall On Stage At Amsterdam Show
MEGA

Meanwhile, as Springsteen supports Colbert, he is facing his own challenges amid his “Land of Hope and Dreams” America Tour. 

The Blast reported two days ago that the “Dancing in the Dark” hitmaker has been forced to increase security as he has become a target, given his strong political theme behind his concerts. 

Springsteen’s E Street Band guitarist Stevie Van Zandt opened up about the situation, saying, “There’s been a lot of threats, death threats. Usually, there’s always some, but this time it’s been increasing.”

He added that agencies, including the Federal Bureau of Investigation, have been keeping watch over the situation, while the band has gone further in its security planning to help ensure concertgoers feel protected at performances.