Young Thug seems to be in a jam yet again since his apprehension months ago on gang-related claims and incarceration pending trial. With his imprisonment, he has been unable to perform at shows, thereby missing multiple opportunities and recently leading a promoter to sue him for breach of contract.
Young Thug Gets Sued For $150,000 By A-1 Concert Entertainment
It is no news that Thug has been in custody for months without bond, along with Gunna and several others tied to the ongoing RICO case. As Hot New Hip Hop reported, the 30-year-old star is facing another legal battle while still being charged with having affiliations with a street gang and connected to several violations, including robbery and murder.
Meanwhile, prior to the arrest, Thug was contracted in January to perform a 45-minute set for $300k and was said to have already received an upfront fee of $150K as negotiated.
The negotiation also included him getting the rest of the money once his performance was over. However, unfortunately, he was not able to come through with him remaining in custody. As a result, the promoters are suing Thuggery, and though one reportedly contacted YSL Touring earlier, they never got their money back.
It was also reported that YSL Touring agreed to pay back the deposit fee, but A-1 Concert Entertainment said it was never sent, so they are taking the hip-hop star to court for $150K. This legal action comes after The Blast reported that he and four other defendants faced a new set of charges related to drugs and firearms and arose from previous arrests on March 17 and May 9.
These new accusations were brought forward by Fulton County D.A.’s office in Atlanta, revealing a new indictment and believing that they add to the prosecution’s past claims about his attachment to gangs. The “Stoner” star’s attorney Brian Steel was not having any of it as he insisted on his client’s innocence earlier in May, promising to battle the charges until his client was freed. In Steel’s words:
“I’ll tell you the response to any allegation is [Young Thug] committed no crime whatsoever, and we will fight to my last drop of blood to clear him.”
Fans may recall that the previous indictment in May accused Thug of participating in criminal street gang activity. He was also charged alongside others with conspiracy to violate the RICO act. Regarding the new charges, the D.A.’s office stated that it included the 28 defendants from the May RICO indictment and was still focused on the music star’s gang YSL, Young Slime Life.
D.A. Fani Willis pointed out at the time that the Atlanta-based organization was “a hybrid gang” and “an affiliate of the Bloods gang. Most of the charges against Thug and two of the other defendants arose from what was found in Thug’s home by the D.A.’s office and Atlanta police on the night of his May arrest.
Furthermore, the new indictment listed “a new gang charge, new drug charges, possession of a firearm during the commission of a felony, and possession of a machine gun.” As for the other two defendants, Martinez Arnold and Deamonte Kendrick, professionally called Yak Gotti, prosecutor Don Geary mentioned that they and Thug pleaded guilty to the May indictment.
Even so, Yak Gotti’s lawyer, Jay Abt, and Arnold’s attorney, Ashleigh Merchant, insisted on their clients’ innocence of both the original and new charges. Abt stressed that Gotti was not a criminal but a triple platinum recording artist who rapped about the lives of urban youth. At the same time, Merchant looked forward to contesting the accusations against her client.
The “Slime Season” Star Thanks Fans For Support While In Custody
In June, The Blast reported Thug’s unavoidable absence from this year’s “Summer Jam” hip-hop festival hosted in New York by the reputable radio station Hot 97 FM. The annual event, usually held in June, features notable hip-hop icons “that have swept the world music industry, offering fans extreme thrills in their live performances.
Although the “Danny Glover” rapper was meant to perform, his arrest and imprisonment in Georgia the previous month on RICO allegations made it impossible. While he could not perform at the show, he made it up to his fans by sending a heartfelt message, appreciating their support during the trying period. In his words:
“I just want to say thank you to all my friends and my family for coming out and supporting us. You know, your support during this time means a lot to us.”