Aaron Carter appears to be leaving almost all forms of social media.
The former teen pop star, 34, deleted his Instagram and Twitter accounts on which he used to be very active. In the last few days, Carter has been promoting his new rap track “Reload the Wesson” on the photo-sharing app. The singer also shared tidbits of his daily life, from babysitting his son Prince to hanging out with his fiancé and baby mama, Melanie Martin, 28. Over Twitter, he just shared whatever was on his mind — even calling out haters.
Carter and Martin had drama late last year, but it seemed like their relationship has been peaceful ever since reuniting less than a week later. So, what prompted the “I Want Candy” hitmaker to delete his accounts?
View this post on Instagram
A Way To Earn More Money?
Carter recently joined the content subscription service, OnlyFans, last week. His account is still active, although fans need to pay $15 per month to view his uploads. Since joining on January 11, the “House of Carters” star has already posted 121 photos and 15 videos. It may have been the reason why he suddenly left the two major social media sites.
OnlyFans content creators can earn money from their subscribers, allowing them to receive funding directly from their fans every month. They can also get one-time tips and the pay-per-view feature. That said, Carter may have been eyeing the profits from posting content on the site rather than sharing them for free on Instagram and Twitter.
According to Celebrity Net Worth, Carter has a net worth of $400,000, but it was way bigger before, back when he was so famous. Compared to his ’90s popularity, the singer has been earning less in recent years. He filed for bankruptcy in November 2013 in the state of Florida, citing $3.5 million in debt. He listed his total assets worth only $8,232.16 in the bankruptcy filing, as per HuffPost.
Blowing Up Millions?
In an interview with Vlad TV, Carter claimed that his parents spent millions of his money.
“Yeah, somewhere in between like $350, $400, $500 million. Yeah, easily,” he said.
“Well, we had 15 houses at the same time. Yeah, we had the largest compound in all Florida Keys,” Carter said of the “superficial sh-t” his family allegedly bought with his earnings as a teen idol.
The singer went on and said his dad threw “big parties and fireworks, so he basically made the whole neighborhood want to sell their houses to get away from the noise.”
Carter also claimed he earned nothing when his brother and father sold their big property.
“When my dad and my brother sold the house. The houses and the compound to some Persian King or Prince or something — it’s sort of like $31 million, and I got nothing from that,” the musician said.
Left With Hefty Taxes?
Carter’s money was managed by his parents when he was a minor. As per the law, 15% of his earnings should have been set aside until he turned 18, but Robert and Jane Carter allegedly left too little. Instead of having $20 million, he was allegedly left with only $2 million, plus a million in taxes his parents neglected to pay, according to a report by Perez Hilton.
The bankruptcy filing was done to protect his parents from going to jail for tax evasion. Unfortunately, Carter found himself in debt again, worth $150,000 just a few months later.
View this post on Instagram
Carter appeared on the reality series “Life Or Debt” in 2016, where he admitted to his financial advisor Victor Antonio:
“Financially, I’m in a terrible position. When I turned 18, I got hit with all those taxes. I filed a Chapter 7 bankruptcy last year; now I’m already over $100,000 in debt,” he said at the time.
In 2019, Carter set up a GoFundMe page where he asked his fans for a donation worth $100,000.
“I created this go fund me myself to get myself a new home and out of California,” he tweeted as seen on a screengrab by iHeartRadio. “There is a lot of people targeting my life because I am exposing them I had to use mis direction and lie about my finances. I’m blackmailed by the smear campaign. Pls donate.”