Moss met Crawley as a contestant on last year’s season of the show. Two weeks in, they left together as an engaged couple. ABC then replaced her with Tayshia Adams
The former football wide receiver released a statement to PEOPLE, via his representative, regarding the split and what happened after.
Moss’s spokesman said on Monday that the couple broke up when Crawley was spending time with the 33-year-old in New York City.
The 40-year-old then chose to fly home to Sacramento and asked Moss to send her things over.
A few later, Crawley’s mother’s condition [dementia and Alzheimer’s] took a turn for the worse, and her ex wanted to fly out to Sacramento to support her.
After completing his work obligation in Los Angeles, Moss’s representative said that the star intended to fly out to be with Crawley, but his number was blocked, making communication impossible.
“It is unfortunate that the next time Dale heard anything from Clare, it was on social media,” the representative said before hinting about the breakup.
Regarding rumors that the former sports star was in an affair with a fellow show cast member, Abigail Heringer, the representative said Moss chose not to address the issue publicly.
The spokesperson said this was because his client wanted to offer Crawley and her family the respect they needed during this difficult time.
The statement revealed that Moss was familiar with how “devastating” it is to watch a mother’s health deteriorate over time.
He continued to say that the 33-year-old wishes Clare nothing but the best and would be keeping her and her family in his thoughts and prayers.
A source close to “The Bachelorette” lead told PEOPLE that “she is at peace moving on with her life knowing the truth and not needing to prove or defend anything.”
Taking Her Time To Heal
On Monday, The Blast reported that Crawley refused to back down after ending things with her on-again, off-again fiancé. On Saturday, the 40-year-old opened up about the split via her Instagram story.
Crawley shared a video of herself walking her dog and wrote,
“It takes a lot to bring me to my knees but d*mn this week has pushed me to that point.”
This statement hinted at the TV personality’s emotional state. Regardless, she told followers that she was doing her best to move on and not stay down.
Crawley noted she would take the necessary small steps to heal, adding that she would eat and drink right and handle the crisis as best as possible. The “Bachelor In Paradise” star’s post was met with lots of support from friends and fans.
Opening Up About Past Abuse
In September, The Blast shared that Crawley spoke to the US weekly about suffering from sexual abuse by a Catholic priest and her life as a survivor.
The American reality star said her parents were very religious, and she suffered in silence because they placed Catholic priests on a pedestal.
In an exclusive preview of “Red Table Talk: The Estefans” granted to HollywoodLife, the hairstylist sat down with the Estefans to speak about her childhood molestation.
The star said she was taking her power bank by speaking up against the weight of unworthiness, embarrassment, and the church’s silence during her suffering.