Dr. Dre wants to bring the legend of Marvin Gaye to the big screen, but the late singer’s family thinks Dre needs to hold up on making any official announcements until the deal to go ahead with the project is completely wrapped up.
Marvin Gaye III tells The Blast, “In regards to the announcement that was made in the media on June 18 as it pertains to a biopic about my father, the legendary iconic singer Marvin Gaye, that is being produced by Dr. Dre, I want to say that it was prematurely announced, therefore I denounce these statements.”
He’s referring to an article claiming Gaye’s music had already been secured with Dr. Dre at the helm.
Gaye says, “I love and highly respect Dr. Dre, and we are currently in talks about his participation in the film. However, the movie rights have not been granted nor secured at this time from me as an heir. My hope is to have a group of capable and experienced film producers to be involved with the making of a wonderful masterpiece of my dad’s life.”
It’s pretty obvious Gaye thinks the story about Dre’s involvement in the project may sway the negotiations in his favor, but the son of the Motown legend ain’t giving in.
He makes it clear, “I’m looking for nothing less than excellence in creating a compelling story of Marvin Gaye’s multi-faceted life. We are progressing steadily toward this very goal, and therefore don’t want any premature or false information out there.”
We’re told it’s extremely possible both parties will be able to come to an agreement and get the biopic in production, but as of now, Gaye thinks Dre has got to give it up with promoting the film before he’s actually involved.