SEND US A TIP!CLICK OR 844.412.5278

Ryan Phillippe Loses Bid to Keep Ex-Fiancée From Testifying in Assault Lawsuit

Getty / Instagram
By Daniel Goldblatt

A judge on Monday denied Ryan Phillippe's motion for a protective order prohibiting his former fiancée from being deposed in a lawsuit brought against him by his ex-girlfriend.

According to court records, the judge ruled that Elsie Hewitt, who is suing the "Shooter" star over an alleged incident that took place at his home in 2017, can depose Phillippe's ex-fiancée, Paulina Slagter.

Related to what you're reading:
ARTICLE CONTINUES BELOW

Getty

In her ruling, the judge stated, "Testimony by Slagter (pictured above) that contradicts or undermines statements Defendant made about his own character or his knowledge of other domestic violence investigations would be relevant to this action."

"Accordingly," the judge added, "the motion for protective order is DENIED."

Both Phillippe and Hewitt wanted the other sanctioned and the judge denied both parties' request.

TheBlast.com

As The Blast first reported, Phillippe filed for the protective order in May, claiming Hewitt's insistence on deposing Slagter would force him to incur unnecessary expense.

He claimed, "Forcing Defendant to expend attorney's fees in attending and defending this deposition would prejudice Defendant and cause nothing more than harassment, oppression, and embracement, all of which are grounds for abuse of the discovery process."

In her own filing, Hewitt accused Phillippe’s assistant, Brady Ricci, of refusing to answer questions about Slagter during his deposition. She claimed Phillippe’s lawyer openly told Ricci to refuse to answer the questions and she wanted Phillippe and Ricci sanctioned in the amount of $8,340.

Getty

As The Blast previously reported, Slagter filed a police report for harassment against Phillippe after they broke up. We’re told Slagter claimed that Phillippe sent her a slew of profanity-laced text messages which were very “aggressive.”

According to an LAPD investigation report obtained by The Blast, Phillippe was interviewed by police during the course of their investigation into Hewitt's assault claims and told them he "had to pay out the victim" of a previous incident, referring to Slagter.

Instragram

Attorneys for Elsie Hewitt have been after the police report related to the alleged incident with Slagter, having previously requested subpoenas “relating to any “complaints or police reports made against Matthew Ryan Phillippe P/K/A Ryan Phillippe by Paulina Slagter.”

Ryan Phillippe has argued that Hewitt has no right to records relating to him and his ex-fiancée, saying the documents requested seek to obtain “inadmissible” character evidence, which he believes has no relevance to the case.

Load Comments
Next Article