Ellen DeGeneres is scoring TV gold because Meghan Markle is reportedly telling her inner circle that she plans on giving the talk show host her first interview since leaving royal life behind. According to Daily Mail, Prince Harry‘s wife of nearly two years is planning to sit down with the comedian which “has been in the works for quite some time now.” The duo have known each other for years after meeting at a dog shelter event in Los Angeles years ago.
In fact, Ellen DeGeneres encouraged Meghan Markle to adopt her first dog named Bogart and they have stayed in touch ever since. The comedian and her wife, actress Portia de Rossi, even traveled to London to visit Meghan Markle and Prince Harry after the birth of their first child, son Archie Harrison Mountbatten-Windsor, last year. She even talked about the visit on “The Ellen DeGeneres Show” after her return and defended the famous couple against the negative press they have endored.
“I see them get attacked and it’s not fair. They are two of the most down-to-earth compassionate people, they’re doing so much good for the world,” Ellen DeGeneres said at the time. It’s because of their tight relationship that Meghan Markle wants to give the comedian her first interview since walking away from royal duties. “[Meghan] said Ellen understands her pain and suffering. That she epitomizes authenticity. [Meghan] feels like they are kindred spirits,” a close friend told Daily Mail.
While the duo have a bond that can’t be broken, Meghan Markle has her sights set on other interviews after Ellen DeGeneres. “Ellen getting the first shot at an in-depth interview is surely going to put Oprah’s – (and Gayle King’s) nose out of joint,” the source said. “After all, Oprah wooed Meghan’s mother by having her spend the day in Montecito, wrangled an invite to the wedding and has been pretty vocal in her support of the couple’s decision to break away.”
Ellen DeGeneres’ rep has not responded to the story about the interview. Last weekend, Prince Harry’s grandmother, Queen Elizabeth II, released a statement saying the royal family had come to a mutual agreement and the couple’s new life in Canada comes with a hefty price tag. The duo must give up their royal highness titles and pay back 2.4 million pounds of taxpayers’ money which was spent on renovating their home by Windsor Castle. reports the Associated Press. Buckingham Palace also revealed on Saturday that the former Duke and Duchess of Sussex will not be able to receive public funds from now on.