All six counts of sexual assault charges against singer Rex Orange County have been dropped according to a statement by the artist. The musician shared the news with his fans after months of silence on social media due to the scandal.
The 24-year-old upcoming artist, whose birth name is Alex O’Connor, was accused of assault by an anonymous woman in June. He was to stand trial in January 2023 and had denied all allegations against him. He also canceled his tour due to what he described as “personal circumstances.”
Keep on reading to learn more.
Sexual Assault Charges Against Rex Orange County Dropped
Rex Orange County shared an update with his fans on his social media pages, revealing that all charges of sexual assault against him had been dropped. Authorities charged the singer to court after an anonymous female individual said she was assaulted by him on June 1 in London’s West End. On June 2, Rex reportedly assaulted her four more times, once in a cab and three more at his Notting Hill residence.
In his recently released statement, the singer wrote, “Today, all charges against me have been dropped. The Crown Prosecution Service reviewed the evidence and decided that there is no merit in this case going to trial.”
He continued, “I have always denied these allegations and am grateful that the independent evidence has cleared me of any wrongdoing. I have never assaulted anyone and I do not condone violence or abusive behaviour of any kind.”
Rex Orange County Clarifies ‘Some Details’
Still, in his statement, the singer took the opportunity to share his own version of events, stating that he had not gotten the chance to do so and due to that, several “inaccuracies” had circulated about the case.
Rex claims that CCTV footage of the night of said event contradicts his accuser’s story. He wrote, “I would like to clarify some details around what I was accused of, as I have not been able to address this until now and inaccuracies about the case have circulated. I was wrongly accused of touching someone one evening on their leg, neck, back, and bottom. That led to six charges of sexual assault.
“The only evidence against me was the individual’s account. However, CCTV footage obtained by the police contradicted their version of events. Their partner was also present throughout the evening in question and gave a statement to the police which did not support the allegations against me.”
Rex Orange County Says It’s Been ‘Difficult’
Concluding his statement, the singer touched on how tough it has been for “everyone” due to the sexual assault scandal. He thanked the “people” who helped him through the case and also his family for sticking by his side.
Rex said, “It’s been a difficult time for everyone involved and I’d like to thank the people who have helped me through it as well as my family and loved ones for their continued support.”
Back in July, the singer revealed that he had to cancel his tour due to “personal circumstances.”
In his statement at the time, the singer wrote, “It is with a great deal of sadness to announce that due to unforeseen personal circumstances, I am having to spend some time at home this year, and I will not be able to continue with touring as planned.”
Rex added, “I am devastated to say that the Australia, New Zealand, and European shows scheduled for September and November will be cancelled. All tickets will be refunded. This is the last thing I want to do. I love touring, and I am so sorry to be letting anyone down. I look forward to getting back to it as soon as I can.”
Fans Are Split On The Singer’s Statement
The musician’s fans were ecstatic about the news, with many congratulating him, while some took the time to call out those who doubted or tried to “cancel” the artist.
One fan wrote, “And thats why we have innocent until proven guilty, you’re all so quick to switch up now.”
Another happy fan quipped, “THATS F**KIN RIGHT. It’s innocent until proven guilty, not the other way around. I’m proud of you man. You handled this perfectly.”
But despite the charges being dropped, not all of his fans are back on board with him.
A follower wrote on his Instagram, “As someone who was a huge fan, this statement still doesn’t feel right to me.”
Another on Twitter said, “while i obviously really hope this is the truth, y’all need to chill a tiny bit. So many [sexual assault] cases get dropped wrongfully and this man JUST tweeted this. i feel like y’all could wait a second before saying you’re in love with him again…”
View this post on Instagram