Now, the actor is opening up about the life-or-death situation in a new interview.
Odenkirk spoke to The New York Times about the terrifying experience and explained that he had NO PULSE when he initially collapsed while filming “Better Call Saul.”
The 59-year-old explained, “We were shooting a scene, we’d been shooting all day, and luckily I didn’t go back to my trailer.”
Bob Odenkirk Opens Up About 2021 Heart Attack
Odenkirk explained that rather than going back to his trailer he decided to hang out with costars Patrick Fabian and Rhea Seehorn at the time of the incident.
The “Breaking Bad” actor has zero recollection of him collapsing.
“Rhea said I started turning bluish-gray right away,” he continued.
The production’s medical team was alerted and the show’s health safety supervisor, Rosa Estrada, and assistant director, Angie Meyer, conducted CPR on Odenkirk before hooking him up to a defibrillator.
Shockingly, the first two attempts at jolting and revitalizing his heart did not work.
“The third time, it got me that rhythm back,” Odenkirk said.
Shocked Three Times To Restart His Heart
As previously mentioned, Odenkirk has zero recollection of that day, but his costars and colleagues have been able to help put the puzzle pieces together.
“That’s its own weirdness,” Seehorn told the Times about Odenkirk’s foggy recollection. “You didn’t have a near-death experience — you’re told you had one.”
Seehorn plays Odenkirk’s love interest on “Better Call Saul.”
While the heart attack was unexpected in that moment, Odenkirk knew since 2018 that he had plaque buildup on his heart.
He chose to forego treatment at the time and was fine until one of the “pieces of plaque broke up.”
Odenkirk was rushed to a hospital in Albuquerque, New Mexico where doctors “blew up the little balloons and knocked out that plaque and left stents in two places.”
Odenkirk Knew Since 2018 He Had Plaque Buildup On His Heart
His wife and family stayed by his side while he was recovering in the hospital.
At the time of his heart attack, Odenkirk’s son, Nate Odenkirk, spoke out on July 28 letting fans know his dad is “going to be okay.”
Furthermore, a rep for the actor issued the following statement, “We can confirm Bob is in stable condition after experiencing a heart-related incident. He and his family would like to express gratitude for the incredible doctors and nurses looking after him, as well as his cast, crew and producers who have stayed by his side.”
His ‘BB’ co-star, Bryan Cranston, also issued a message at the time of the incident.
“Today I woke up to news that has made me anxious all morning. My friend, Bob Odenkirk collapsed last night on the set of Better Call Saul. He is in the hospital in Albuquerque and receiving the medical attention he needs but his condition is not known to the public as yet,” Cranston wrote on Instagram.
His note continued, “Please take a moment in your day today to think about him and send positive thoughts and prayers his way, thank you.”
A few days after the harrowing incident, Odenkirk took to Twitter with a message to fans.
His message began, “Hi. It’s Bob. Thank you. To my family and friends who have surrounded me this week. And the outpouring of love from everyone who expressed concern and care for me. It’s overwhelming. But I feel the love and it means so much.”
I had a small heart attack. But I’m going to be ok thanks to Rosa Estrada and the doctors who knew how to fix the blockage without surgery.
Also, AMC and SONYs support and help throughout this has been next-level. I’m going to take a beat to recover but I’ll be back soon.
— Mr. Bob Odenkirk (@mrbobodenkirk) July 30, 2021
Odenkirk continued, “I had a small heart attack. But I’m going to be ok thanks to Rosa Estrada and the doctors who knew how to fix the blockage without surgery. Also, AMC and SONY’s support and help throughout this has been next-level. I’m going to take a beat to recover but I’ll be back soon.”