“Top Chef” star Joe Sasto is known for his pasta and his mustache, but now he’ll be synonymous with a new trend of marijuana-paired dining after orchestrating a magical meal full of amazing food and high-grade cannabis.
Sasto, who finished third in season 15 of the TV cooking competition, was the chef for the Cannabis Supper Club‘s latest dining experience, which took place Thursday night at an undisclosed artist’s loft in the Boyle Heights area of Los Angeles.
When the group of guests sat down at the long table, each person had a station set up with a glass pipe, lighter and several small jars of marijuana with labels describing each strain.
Chef Sasto and his team served up a seven-course meal and worked with the CSC’s sponsored grower, WonderBrett, to pair the non-cannabis infused meals with actual strains of pot. Before each course, Chef Sasto would explain his dish and the background behind it, and then the appropriate cannabis pairing would be described.
Full disclosure: a couple of staffers from The Blast were at the event … and it was AWESOME. There were also some celebs in attendance, like former Bong Appétit stars Abdullah Saeed and Ry Prichard.
Here’s a rundown of the menu and each pairing:
- Charcoal & apricot bread served with a cultured butter — joints were being passed around the table as the guests introduced themselves and got ready for the meal.
- Cold seared scallop w/ Asian pear, earl grey, tonka bean, hazelnut butter — paired with Lemon Citrine sativa
- Honey nut squash stracciatella w/ black olive — paired with Orange Sunset sativa
- Egg yolk w/ chanterelle mushroom, purple barley, bone marrow broth — paired with Beyond Blueberry sativa
- Gargati al torchio pasta w/ burgundy truffle, parmigiano reggiano — paired with Black Orchid indica
- Chicken “porchetta” w/ sunchoke, purple cabbage, sunflower — paired with Pink Picasso hybrid
- Grapes, thyme, lemon verbena dessert with pop rocks served with a dry ice presentation — more joints
- Pumpkin spice brown butter cake w/ yuzu, foie gras caramel — paired with orange citrus flavored vape pen
Other cool things at the event included dab bars, live music and a company producing CBD hemp products for pets. There was even a rolling station featuring a woman famous for being rapper Rick Ross’ personal blunt roller.
Check out the gallery to see how it all went down!