Tom Petty
Breaking News

Tom Petty Died of an Accidental Drug Overdose

Tom Petty died of an accidental drug overdose caused by taking a variety of medications, his family announced on Friday.

In a statement on Petty’s website, the family said, “Unfortunately, Tom’s body suffered from many serious ailments including emphysema, knee problems and most significantly a fractured hip. Despite this painful injury he insisted on keeping his commitment to his fans and he toured for 53 dates with a fractured hip and, as he did, it worsened to a more serious injury.”

The statement continued, “On the day he died he was informed his hip had graduated to a full on break and it is our feeling that the pain was simply unbearable and was the cause for his over use of medication.”

Petty passed away on October 2, 2017 after he was rushed to the hospital in cardiac arrest.

He was 66 years old.