Kevin Hart‘s ex-business partner is accusing the comedian of refusing to help pick up the pieces after his sex tape extortion scandal and refused to work with Apple to get the game into their app store after the tech giant dropped it.
On December 27, the comedian’s former business partner, Stand Up Digital, filed court docs as part of their ongoing legal battle with Hart over a failed video game they launched called, “Gold Ambush.”
The gist of Stand Up Digital’s beef with Hart is right before the launch of the game, without telling them, he announced to the world he had been extorted over a sex tape. They claim the revelation caused the game to tank and Hart failed to promote the game as promised.
In the newly filed docs, Stand Up Digital details how Hart refused to work with them to clean up the situation and to get the launch back on track.
The company states, “Instead, the public face of the game, Kevin Hart, went MIA during the crisis, leaving Stand Up Digital alone to deal with the aftermath … Instead of Gold Ambush being launched on the Apple store and receiving positive gaming press coverage, Apple refused to permit the game to launch, Gold Ambush was subjected to scathing press releases and gaming commentary mocking the family nature of the game in the light of Hart’s scandal.”
Several months after the scandal broke, Stand Up Digital claims Apple was open to working with Hart and launching the game but had some conditions.
Stand Up Digital says Hart refused to meet the requirements to get the game back on the Apple store and would not consistently promote the game on his social media.
“However, despite those failures, Apple actually informed Stand Up after the news of scandal had died down later in 2017 that it would be again be interested in promoting the game and getting it featured on Apple’s App Store,” the company claims.
They continue, “Apple requested, however, that Hart first engage in a videotaped promotion for Gold Ambush in an Apple Store, which could be used to cross-promote the game as well as Apple. However, when Stand Up approached Hart and Brown with this opportunity to revitalize the game, they refused to cooperate, claiming they did not wish to work with Apple any longer.”
The company is demanding the judge not grant Hart’s motion to dismiss and allow their case to continue on.
In their original lawsuit, Stand Up Digital claimed they entered into a deal with Hart and his partner, Wayne Brown, to launch a game called “Gold Ambush.” The game was to feature the comedian and his family as characters.
Stand Up claimed to have spent over $1.25 million on developing the game, which was set to launch in September 2017.
They claimed the app failed because Hart confessed to an extramarital affair — and that he was being extorted over a sex tape — just one month before the app was due to launch.
They accused Kevin Hart of refusing to communicate with them following his confession and sued for damages in excess of $7.2 million.
Hart responded to the lawsuit — and filed a counter-suit of his own — saying he that he “suffered through an extremely difficult period in his life, where he was subjected to attempted blackmail to prevent disclosure of an extramarital affair.”
Hart says the company refuses to take responsibility for the failure of the app when it was “released into an app market where the overwhelming majority of gaming apps make insignificant revenue, and the few successful games, such as ‘Game of War,’ have advertising budgets in the tens of millions of dollars.”
He claims the reason he didn’t inform the company of the ordeal prior to announcing it publicly was because he was assisting the FBI investigation and was not free to disclose any details.
Both cases are ongoing.