Jussie Smollett Tears Up in First Interview Since Attack

Jussie Smollett has given his first interview since he was the victim of a racist and homophobic attack.

The “Empire” star sat down with Robin Roberts for an interview that will air on Thursday on “Good Morning America.” In the first promo for the interview, Smollett can be seen in tears as he talks to Roberts.

On Tuesday night, a rep for Smollett responded to comments made by the police that the phone records he turned over were “limited and heavily redacted.”

His rep said in a statement, “Jussie has voluntarily provided his phone records from within an hour of the attack and given multiple statements to police. Chicago PD has repeatedly informed us that they find Jussie’s account of what happened that night consistent and credible. Superintendent Johnson has been clear from day one that Jussie is a victim. We are continuing to work closely with the Chicago PD and remain confident that they will find Jussie’s attackers and bring them to justice.”

 RELATED  Jussie Smollett Emergency Call Describes Noose Being Placed Around ‘Empire’ Star’s Neck

The rep continued, “Any redacted information was intended to protect the privacy of personal contacts or high-profile individuals not relevant to the attack. Chicago Police have not told us that they are rejecting any records, nor have they expressed concerns about the records to us. Therefore, we don’t feel compelled to be bated into responding to uncorroborated press reports. We are dealing directly with the Chicago Police Department.”

The “Empire” star had told police he was on the phone with his manager on January 29 when the alleged attack occurred.

Smollett made his first public appearance earlier this month at a performance in West Hollywood, California, which came just days after the alleged attack.

In addressing the attack, Smollett told the crowd, “I had to be here tonight y’all. I couldn’t let those motherf**kers win.”

 RELATED  Jussie Smollett Seen with Facial Injuries in First Time Since Vicious Attack

Chicago PD released a photo of the potential suspects, which showed two men wearing dark clothing. Detectives are reviewing more cameras but are looking to question the two individuals seen in the photo.

Police say the two people were seen walking near the location of the incident between 1:30 AM and 1:45 AM and are trying to determine if they witnessed the incident, or were possibly involved.

 RELATED LINKS
Jussie Smollett Speaks Out for the First Time Since His Attack: ‘I Still Believe That Justice Will Be Served’
Jussie Smollett’s Family Lashes Out Against ‘Violent and Unprovoked Attack,’ Calling It ‘Domestic Terrorism’
President Donald Trump Calls Attack on ‘Empire’ Star Jussie Smollett ‘Horrible’