Jussie Smollett will not sit down with the Chicago Police Department today, despite the fact they want to speak with him about the alleged attack and the possibility it was staged.
In a statement released on Monday morning, his PR rep, Anne Kavanagh said, “There are no plans for Jussie Smollett to meet with Chicago police today. Any news reports suggesting otherwise are inaccurate. Smollett’s attorneys will keep an active dialogue going with Chicago police on his behalf. We have no further comment today.”
As The Blast previously reported, Chicago police would not comment on whether Smollett was being classified as a victim or a suspect at this point in the investigation, saying, “We have some information that needs to be corroborated and verified with the Empire cast member before we can answer this question.”
Officials have reached out to Smollett’s attorney and requested additional time to interview him, and it’s now apparent they want to use the information provided from the Nigerian brothers.
Ola and Abel Usondairos reportedly told police Smollett paid them to participate in a staged attack, and even instructed them to buy the rope that was tied around his neck.
The brothers, who took off to Nigeria the day after the attack and were arrested when they came home, have been released with no charges and are cooperating with police.
Smollett’s attorney released a scathing statement over the weekend, claiming the star is devastated over the reports, and that he has “been further victimized by claims attributed to these alleged perpetrators that Jussie played a role in his own attack.”
As we reported, days after the attack, Smollett played to a sold-out crowd at the Troubadour in West Hollywood, and fought back tears while telling the audience, “I couldn’t let those motherf**kers win.”
After more evidence appears to suggest Smollett orchestrated his own attack, stars and politicians have started to publicly change their tune and erase tracks of support.