Jussie Smollett

Police Say There Is ‘No Evidence’ Jussie Smollett Attack Was a Hoax

The Chicago police are continuing their investigation into the attack on Jussie Smollett and responding to reports the entire thing was staged by the “Empire” star.

ABC7 Eyewitness News in Chicago reported on Thursday that multiple sources told them Smollett and the two men might have staged the attack because the actor was being written off “Empire.”

In a statement released on Friday morning, police once again refuted that report, saying, “Interviews will resume today with the two people of interest and their attorney. While we haven’t found any video documenting the alleged attack, there is also no evidence to say that this is a hoax. The alleged victim is being cooperative at this time and continues to be treated as the victim, not a suspect. The investigation continues.”

After the report, Fox backed Smollett and shot down the idea that he was being written off the show, saying, “The idea that Jussie Smollett has been, or would be, written off EMPIRE is patently ridiculous. He remains a core player on this very successful series and we continue to stand by him.”

Police interviewed two persons of interest on Thursday, a pair of brothers from Nigeria.

Smollett filed a police report on January 29 alleging he had been attacked by two men who hurled racist and homophobic slurs at him.

Jussie Smollett’s first interview since the alleged attack aired Thursday morning, in which the actor told “Good Morning America’s” Robin Roberts that he hoped the surveillance video of the incident was found, in part so the world could see he fought back.