Angels pitcher Tyler Skaggs died from a deadly mix of drugs and alcohol in his system, this according to authorities in Texas where the young pitcher tragically died earlier this year.
The Tarrant County Medical Examiner released the cause Friday, saying the official cause was due to ethanol, fentanyl and oxycodone, along with "terminal aspiration of gastric contents."
Tyler Skaggs' family tells The Blast,
"We are heartbroken to learn that the passing of our beloved Tyler was the result of a combination of dangerous drugs and alcohol. That is completely out of character for someone who worked so hard to become a Major League baseball player and had a very promising future in the game he loved so much.
“We are grateful for the work of the detectives in the Southlake Police Department and their ongoing investigation into the circumstances surrounding Tyler’s death. We were shocked to learn that it may involve an employee of the Los Angeles Angels. We will not rest until we learn the truth about how Tyler came into possession of these narcotics, including who supplied them. To that end, we have hired Texas attorney Rusty Hardin to assist us."