Actress Rebecca Gayheart revealed she didn’t want to live anymore after her infamous 2001 car accident that took a young boy's life.
Gayheart spoke on “The Only One in the Room” podcast, released on Tuesday, detailing what she went through after the incident and saying she spent about a year trying to kill herself "by doing every self-destructive thing."
The actress detailed how she lost her faith and questioned why God would put her through the situation.
Back in 2001, Gayheart fatally struck a nine-year-old, Jorge Cruz Jr., as he walked across the street. She served no time in jail but was sentenced to 3 years’ probation, had her license suspended for a year and had to complete 750 hours of community service.
The actress was sued for wrongful death by the family of Jorge and eventually settled the lawsuit. She also paid for the kid's funeral expenses.
On the podcast, Gayheart said, "I had a very terrible accident happen. A 9-year-old child died. And, you know, everything changed from that and, you know, I still have trouble talking about it."
She said, while the incident was troubling, "luckily, I came out the other side and really positive things have happened in my life since then."
Gayheart continued, "I still replay it in my head ... 'Had I stopped at the gas station, maybe I wouldn’t have been on that street.' You know, those things never go away — they stay with you forever and I did not cope very well after. … Listen, I just didn’t want to live after that accident."
The actress is set to star in Quentin Tarantino’s upcoming "Once Upon a Time in Hollywood" and has still yet to finalize her divorce from "Grey’s Anatomy" star Eric Dane.