SEND US A TIP!CLICK OR 844.412.5278

'Queer Eye' Star Karamo Brown Deletes Twitter After Catching Heat for 'DWTS' Sean Spicer Comments

Getty
By Ryan Naumann

“Queer Eye” star Karamo Brown has deleted his Twitter account after getting backlash from fans for supporting Sean Spicer being cast on “Dancing with the Stars."

Earlier this week, Brown defended Spicer being cast and expressed a desire to sit down and speak with him.

A fan wrote on Twitter, “I’m actually disappointed in @Karamo for lending his celebrity to this."

Brown responded, “First, I have no say who is on the cast and didn’t find out till this morning that he is on! But I’ll tell you this... I’m excited to sit down w/ him and engage in a respectful conversations. Only way things get better is if we try to educate those who have different POV than us.”

Fans were not having it and the backlash against Brown continued online, with many trashing his comments.

Brown then took to Twitter on Thursday night and wrote he’s “a trained social worker and my first instinct is always to sit down and have a conversation. But I understand how my comments could lead people to believe that I don’t understand the gravity of the situation. The personal is political.”

Related to what you're reading:
ARTICLE CONTINUES BELOW

Twitter

The reality star wrote, “I’m reminded of it daily as a gay man of color. I know that representation matters — that it can affect change. I see you & I hear you. I’m bringing my personal message of love, equity & inclusion to the dance floor. I want it to eclipse & triumph over divisiveness & hatred.”

Brown then decided to delete his Twitter account hours later.

Gettyimages | Dave Kotinsky

His “Queer Eye” co-star Bobby Berk originally tweeted his support for Brown. He claimed Brown’s comments were just his media training kicking in and playing cordial for the cameras.

He said Brown was backed into a corner when being asked questions on the red carpet about Spicer.

Berk has since deleted the entire thread of tweets.

Gettyimages | Dave Kotinsky

Spicer’s casting has caused quite the controversy with “DWTS” host Tom Bergeron taking to social media following the cast reveal this week.

Bergeron tweeted his reaction, saying:

A few months ago, during a lunch with 'DWTS' new Executive Producer, I offered suggestions for Season 28. Chief among them was my hope that 'DWTS,' in its return following an unprecedented year-long hiatus, would be a joyful respite from our exhausting political climate and free of inevitably divisive bookings from ANY party affiliations.I left that lunch convinced we were in agreement."

"Subsequently (and rather obviously), a decision was made to, as we often say in Hollywood, 'go in a different direction. It is the prerogative of the producers, in partnership with the network, to make whatever decisions they feel are the best long term interests of the franchise. We can agree to disagree, as we do now, but ultimately it's their call. I'll leave it to them to answer any further questions about those decisions."

Gettyimages | Greg Doherty

Spicer was unbothered with the comments and when questioned out about Bergeron’s comments, he said, “Tom’s been a great host to this show for twenty-eight seasons. This show is a great opportunity to be an example, how we can have better dialogue and respectfully learn from each other.”

Spicer continued, “I would hope by the end of the show Tom looks at this as more of an opportunity to help reach the divide that exists right now.”

Gettyimages | E! Entertainment

This season is already heating up and it doesn’t even premiere until September 16.

The full cast includes The Supremes’ Mary Wilson, Karamo Brown, "The Bachelorette‘s" Hannah Brown, supermodel Christie Brinkley, country star Lauren Alaina, James Van Der Beek, NFL legend Ray Lewis, "The Office" star Kate Flannery, pop star Ally Brooke, NBA star Lamar Odom, Kel Mitchell and President Donald Trump’s former press secretary Sean Spicer.

Load Comments
Next Article