Amid the growing controversy in England surrounding Meghan Markle and Prince Harry’s decision to step back from their royal duties, Oprah Winfrey has come out to say that she had no part in the situation.
The former talk show host is responding to rumors that she advised the couple to take this new step.
Winfrey spoke to People and said, “I care about them both and support whatever decisions they make for their family.”
Oprah was at their 2018 wedding in England, among plenty of other celebrities.
Page Six says Auntie Oprah advised Harry and Meghan on their royal split… and Auntie Gale could score the first post-megxit interview.https://t.co/tUwIY7tgiN
— Alexander Pineda (@AlexMPinedaTV) January 10, 2020
Page Six reported yesterday through a source that Oprah had advised them, though Oprah also said, “Meg and Harry do not need my help figuring out what is best for them.”
Harry has worked with Oprah in the past, like a series on mental health for Apple TV+, and the couple has reportedly talked with her about the stress Harry has been going through.
Oprah denies helping Prince Harry and Meghan Markle with major royal decision https://t.co/5ZhtTlGFvi
— TODAY (@TODAYshow) January 10, 2020
Earlier this week, the Markles put out a statement on Instagram explaining that they were taking a step back from their royal duties. They said they’d be splitting their time between England and Canada and working to become financially independent.
“After many months of reflection and internal discussions, we have chosen to make a transition this year in starting to carve out a progressive new role within this institution,” the Duke and Duchess of Sussex said on their Instagram.
masonsyl responded to their Instagram message with:
“Rumour has it Oprah is guiding them. They have out their net in the wrong horse. ??? Oh dear!”
Oprah Winfrey Said Prince Harry And Meghan Markle "Do Not Need My Help" After She Was Dragged Into The Royal Drama https://t.co/bQ64TmCC8b
— BuzzFeed (@BuzzFeed) January 10, 2020
The Queen’s Office of Buckingham Palace put out a statement on Wednesday, the day of Meghan and Harry‘s announcement.
“Discussions with The Duke and Duchess of Sussex are at an early stage. We understand their desire to take a different approach, but these are complicated issues that will take time to work through.”
“Workable solution? How can there be a workable solution when there are reports they’ve already spoken to Oprah, Apple & PR companies in US with regards to ‘projects’. They should NOT be allowed to use the Royal connection in their quest. Trademarked SussexRoyal is just the start,” said @BrookenCodygran.
Meghan has already returned to Canada to be with their son, Archie.
Prince Harry is reportedly still in England.
The rest of the royal family says they’re “hurt” by the couple’s decision.
“There is a lot of hurt about this,” said one source, adding that the disappointment “was so avoidable.”