SEND US A TIP!CLICK OR 844.412.5278

Kevin Hart Shuts Down $7.2 Million Legal Battle With Ex-Business Partner Over Cheating Scandal

Getty
By Ryan Naumann

Kevin Hart scored a huge victory in the $7.2 million lawsuit filed against him by his ex-business partners.

According to court documents obtained by The Blast, a judge has granted Hart’s motion for summary judgment in the battle with a company named Stand Up Digital.

Stand Up Digital sued Hart accusing him of screwing up their planned phone app after he revealed an extramarital affair. Hart denied the allegations and demanded the suit be tossed.

The judge in the case recently came back with his decision siding with Hart. The judge found that Hart did not gain anything by going public with the affair. The order notes the comedian actually suffered considerable reputational damage. The judge found no reason Hart was obligated to inform his business partners about his affair announcement.

The court said the evidence did not show Hart breached his contract. The only remaining claim in the case is Hart’s counterclaim against Stand Up Digital for accounting. The decision is a HUGE victory for Hart, who will now avoid going to a jury trial.

Hart's high-powered attorney, Donte Mills, tells The Blast, "The case against Kevin Hart is dismissed. The company brought a baseless claim and was not only kicked out of court, but will be forced to pay him because of it. This is a victory against frivolous lawsuits and people who seek out celebrities to sue, which happen way too often."

Related to what you're reading:
ARTICLE CONTINUES BELOW

Getty

In the original lawsuit, Stand Up Digital said they entered into a deal with Hart to launch a game called “Gold Ambush.” The phone app was to be an interactive game featuring Hart and his family as characters.

Stand Up said they spent over $1.25 million on developing the game, which was originally set to launch in September 2017.

The company says before the launch Hart took to social media to reveal an extramarital affair. He also said he was being extorted over the matter. Stand Up Digital says Hart’s personal issues caused havoc for their game.

They accused Kevin Hart of not communicating with them before or after his confession. The lawsuit is seeking in excess of $7.2 million.

Getty

Hart fired back to the case— and counter-sued Stand Up Digital— saying he that he “suffered through an extremely difficult period in his life, where he was subjected to attempted blackmail to prevent disclosure of an extramarital affair.”

Hart accused the company of creating a shotty game in a crowded market. Hart said the company refuses to take responsibility for the failure of the app when it was “released into an app market where the overwhelming majority of gaming apps make insignificant revenue, and the few successful games, such as ‘Game of War,’ have advertising budgets in the tens of millions of dollars.”

He said the reason he didn’t inform the company of the ordeal prior to announcing it publicly was because he was working with the FBI and was not able to disclose any details. He demands the case be tossed.

Back in October, Hart pleaded with the judge presiding over the case to push back the September 9 trial date. He explained he needed time to recover from his nasty car crash. The reasons were, “Defendant Kevin Hart just started physical rehabilitation and will not be ambulatory for at least another two months.”

The trial had already been postponed once following the accident.

Load Comments
Next Article