The much-publicized feud between Prince Harry and Meghan Markle, the Duke and Duchess of Sussex, has many layers and angles.
One angle that’s being explored is the dynamic between Prince Charles and his sons Harry and William.
Their mother, Princess Diana, died in a horrific car accident in 1997 in Paris when the boys were young. Of course that was a devastating turn of events for the family. William and Harry were very close to Diana, and it sounds like Charles needed some help with raising his sons.
Spectator writes that Charles had asked his sons to drop him a mention during a documentary about the 20th anniversary of Diana’s death. William apparently said no, but Harry acquiesced and gave him a brief part of the film.
But there’s more to it. It’s being reported that Harry and Meghan wanted to create their own, separate court at Windsor, after they moved out of Kensington Palace in 2019. But Charles said no. The Queen also nixed the idea of a second court.
And last month, Prince Harry went to his dad to request a second home in North America, and while Charles didn’t say no, he was apparently looking for more details from Harry for such a plan.
But after Charles rebuffed him, Harry then had a meeting with the Queen at Sandringham. Charles’ courtiers heard about this, and thought it was Harry’s attempt to go behind his father’s back.
Prince Harry spoke during a benefit for his Sentebale charity on Jan. 19 and talked about making the choice to take a smaller role within the royal family.
“The decision that I have made for my wife and I to step back is not one I made lightly. It was so many months of talks after so many years of challenges. And I know I haven’t always gotten it right, but as far as this goes, there really was no other option. What I want to make clear is, we’re not walking away, and we certainly aren’t walking away from you.”
BREAKING: Prince Harry: "There was no other option."
Prince Harry has revealed he and Meghan felt they had no other option but to leave the Royal Family behind during a speech for his Sentebale charity.
— Sky News (@SkyNews) January 19, 2020
The Daily Mail tweeted a recent story on the mess, with tweets detailing what Harry and Meghan planned to do now that they’ve stepped back from the family.
“The couple plan to set up a production company.
Negotiations over the ‘exit package’ have brought Harry and his estranged brother, William, closer than they have been ‘for more than a year.’ “
The Mail included some other details about the royal split, including that the Queen wanted to keep Harry and Meghan in the family, suggesting they keep Frogmore Cottage.
So are Harry and William actually closer now and standing united against Prince Charles?
Some great exclusive lines in today’s #DailyMail on #HarryandMeghan and much more!
*The couple plan to set up a production company.
*Negotiations over the ‘exit package’ have brought Harry and his estranged brother, William, closer than they have been ‘for more than a year’ 👇 pic.twitter.com/2MV13TCCG5
— Rebecca English (@RE_DailyMail) January 20, 2020