Prince Andrew had already been facing accusations after a report was filed in an NYC court. At the time there were rumors that the royal was already aware of the accusations made against him. As a summons was potentially delivered to his residence at the Royal Lodge on the Windsor grounds. Andrew though had been good about avoiding the summons. Thanks in large part, to the fact that he was on holiday in Scotland with the Queen. The court, though, has confirmed that Prince Andrew was ultimately notified about the accusations made against him back in August! This means the legal process can begin.
What Are The Accusations?
Virginia Roberts Giuffre is accusing Prince Andrew of sexual assault. To her credit, she is really putting herself out there. Telling the public really how the incident took place. In a previous statement, Giuffre essentially detailed the potential non-consensual encounter that she had with the royal. She mentions,
“I was trafficked to him and sexually abused by him,” She went on to talk about why she’s making the accusation now saying, “I am holding Prince Andrew accountable for what he did to me. The powerful and rich are not exempt from being held responsible for their actions.
Andrew’s Evasion Tactics
So far Prince Andrew’s first line of defense has been to literally evade the summons that was delivered to him by the court. As we’ve mentioned he was away on holiday in Scotland with Queen Elizabeth. Giuffre’s lawyers, though, say that security at Andrew’s residence at Royal Lodge in Windsor refused to take the documents. The chairman of New York-based law firm Boies Schiller Flexner LLP who is representing Giuffre, detailed Prince Andrew’s evasion tactics in a statement that reads,
“Process servers have shown up at his residence, and they have refused to take the summons and refused to let the process servers in to serve,”
He also thinks that Prince Andrew has deliberately been avoiding being seen out in public. In an effort to halt the legal process.
Prince Andrew Has Been Served, Now What?
Although Andrew had been actively trying to avoid being served, it has finally happened. At least that’s what court documents seem to indicate. He was finally served on Friday, August 27th, and a virtual court hearing was set to be held this Monday. At the time of writing it isn’t clear whether Andrew or his lawyers were present at the meeting. Although documents have surfaced that indicate a legal representative of the Prince was in attendance.
If Andrew was present at the meeting he would most likely have had to call in from Balmoral Castle in Scotland. Last week in a rare sighting the cameras caught a glimpse of him going to Balmoral Castle. Where he is said to be staying with his mother Queen Elizabeth. Having to excuse himself from a grand hall, to attend a virtual court meeting for sexual assault, must have been an awkward conversation.
Hours in advance of today's initial hearing in Virginia Giuffre's lawsuit, an attorney enters a notice of appearance on behalf of Prince Andrew. pic.twitter.com/nAgVUKubv0
— Adam Klasfeld (@KlasfeldReports) September 13, 2021
Andrew Has An Alibi
Prince Andrew is confident though that he’s going to be able to shake the claims off. He addressed the issue in the infamous BBC interview saying that he had never met Virginia Roberts Giuffre. Also, he’s mentioned that the accusations cannot be true because he has an alibi. On the date that Giuffre is claiming the assault took place Prince Andrew was at home. At least according to him. He says,
“I’d taken Beatrice to a Pizza Express in Woking for a party at I suppose sort of four or five in the afternoon. And then because the Duchess was away, we have a simple rule in the family that when one is away the other one is there. I was on terminal leave at the time from the Royal Navy so, therefore, I was at home.”