Royal Biographer Warns Andrew Arrest Could Finally See Prince Harry Lose His Royal Title

By Daniel Rugunya on February 20, 2026 at 5:30 PM EST

Prince Harry leaving court
Advertisement

A British historian is now suggesting that Prince Harry could be at risk of losing his remaining royal titles, including his designation as Duke of Sussex.

Andrew Lownie, a biographer who has written extensively on the royal family, recently claimed that King Charles III may use the fallout from Ex-Prince Andrew’s arrest as an opportunity to push through long-discussed reforms.

According to Lownie, those reforms could include stripping titles from royals who are no longer active working members of the family.

The King is said to have previously negotiated with Harry and his wife, Meghan Markle, over a potential arrangement that would have allowed them to maintain an official role while living in America.

Article continues below advertisement

Royal Expert Predicts Complete Exile For Prince Harry

Prince Harry at Archie's birthday
MEGA

In a recent interview with NewsNation, Lownie said he expects significant changes within the monarchy, describing what he sees as an initiative to “modernize” the institution.

“I think we are going to see some reforms being announced,” Lownie said. “More transparency about records and finances, and I think we may well see some moves to remove titles from anyone who isn’t in an active working role.”

Lownie suggested that the arrest of former Prince Andrew could create an ideal pretext for these changes.

“I think they’re going to deal with the Andrew and Harry problem at the same time,” he added.

Article continues below advertisement

King Charles III Rumored To Favor A ‘Slimmed Down’ Monarchy

While Lownie’s prediction suggests King Charles could use potential reforms to change his son’s status, the monarch has long been associated with plans to streamline the institution.

There certainly appeared to be some evidence of this early in his reign.

Shortly after the death of Queen Elizabeth II, dozens of staff members from his Clarence House residence were given redundancy notices as operations were consolidated into Buckingham Palace, according to the Guardian.

In its updated FAQs on the British monarchy, the Constitution Unit at University College of London also notes that Charles preferred reducing the number of working members of the royal family even before he ascended the throne.

Article continues below advertisement

The King Reportedly ‘Considered Making’ Prince Harry Governor-General Of Canada

King Charles and Prince Harry at Queen Elizabeth's funeral
MEGA

If Lownie’s prediction proves accurate, Harry’s remaining ties to the royal family could be severed very soon.

Yet according to another commentator, life could have once taken a very different turn for the Duke and Duchess of Sussex.

In his forthcoming biography, “William and Catherine: The Monarchy’s New Era,” royal expert Russell Myers claims that King Charles considered offering Harry the role of governor-general of Canada.

Myers suggests the idea was floated before the couple ultimately chose to step back from royal duties and relocate to the United States in 2020.

The proposal is said not to have materialized because a Canadian citizen typically holds the position of governor-general.

Article continues below advertisement

The Estranged Royal Focused On Charity Work Amid Andrew Arrest

Amidst the recent drama inside the royal family, Prince Harry largely remained silent about the arrest of his uncle, Ex-Prince Andrew.

Instead, the California-based royal turned his attention to charitable work.

Just one day after Andrew was taken in for questioning, Harry appeared in a promotional video urging nominations for the 2026 WellChild Awards.

In the YouTube clip, the Duke of Sussex urged the public to recognize children living with complex medical needs, along with the families and professionals who support them.

Harry, who has served as patron of WellChild since 2007, praised the children for their resilience and kindness, describing them as a powerful example of strength.

Article continues below advertisement

Prince Harry Reportedly Upset At Comparisons With Andrew

Andrew Mountbatten-Windsor at King Charles III's coronation
Mirrorpix / MEGA

As the royal family grapples with Andrew’s historic arrest, it has also emerged that Harry is said to resent ongoing comparisons between him and his disgraced uncle.

According to PEOPLE, the parallels have lingered for years but never sat well with the younger son of King Charles III.

“He was frustrated by the comparisons,” the magazine quoted a royal insider as saying. “It was never fair to lump them together. Harry served his country, did the job well, and never engaged in misconduct, yet lost security and housing while Andrew was protected for years.”

The former Duke of York was released after several hours in the custody of Thames Valley Police on February 19, and remains under investigation.

Advertisement