First Royal Arrest Ends With Ex-Prince Andrew’s Quiet Return
By Chukwudi Onyewuchi on February 19, 2026 at 5:15 PM EST

Shockwaves rippled through Britain after the former Prince Andrew, now known as Andrew Mountbatten-Windsor, was arrested in an early morning operation that marked a historic first for the modern monarchy.
Hours later, the once-senior royal was photographed leaving custody and returning to Sandringham.
The dramatic sequence unfolded on his 66th birthday, capping a day that stunned both the royal household and the public.
Ex-Prince Andrew Leaves Custody Under Investigation

By early evening, Andrew emerged from Aylsham police station in Norfolk, cutting a diminished figure after a bruising day in detention.
He appeared pale and withdrawn as he sat in the back of a waiting vehicle shortly after 7 p.m., departing quietly for Sandringham.
According to the Daily Mail, Thames Valley Police confirmed in a statement released shortly after his exit that “a man in his sixties” had been released under investigation.
A spokesperson added that searches connected to his Norfolk residence, Wood Farm, had concluded.
The 66-year-old had been detained earlier that morning during a raid on his home.
Authorities confirmed he was taken into custody just after 10 a.m. The arrest made him the first senior royal in modern times to face such action.
The Morning Raid That Shook The Monarchy

The day began with unmarked vehicles arriving at Wood Farm around 8 a.m.
Officers in plain clothes were seen entering the property, one reportedly carrying a police-issued laptop. Within an hour, a convoy that included royal Land Rovers left the estate.
Thames Valley Police later stated, “We have today arrested a man in his sixties from Norfolk on suspicion of misconduct in public office.”
Search activity extended beyond Norfolk. Officers were also seen at an address in Berkshire, believed to be Royal Lodge in Windsor, where Andrew had lived for more than two decades until recently.
Police vans and a fine art transportation vehicle were spotted leaving the estate later in the afternoon.
Gander and White, the logistics company seen on site, describes itself as “one of the world’s leading fine art logistics companies, providing art storage, transport, installation and customs services.”
Norfolk Police confirmed it was “supporting” the Thames Valley investigation, though it did not clarify whether one of its stations was used to interview Andrew.
King Charles Responds To Ex-Prince Andrew’s Arrest

As news of the arrest spread, Buckingham Palace released an unprecedented statement from King Charles III.
The monarch, who reportedly received no advance warning of the operation, addressed the matter directly.
“I have learned with the deepest concern the news about Andrew Mountbatten-Windsor and suspicion of misconduct in public office,” the King said.
He continued, “What now follows is the full, fair and proper process by which this issue is investigated in the appropriate manner and by the appropriate authorities. In this, as I have said before, they have our full and wholehearted support and co-operation.”
In one of the most pointed lines of the statement, the monarch added, “Let me state clearly: the law must take its course.”
He concluded by emphasizing restraint as the investigation unfolds, noting, “As this process continues, it would not be right for me to comment further on this matter. Meanwhile, my family and I will continue in our duty and service to you all”.
Sources indicate the Prince and Princess of Wales support the King’s stance.
Police Detail The Ongoing Investigation

Authorities have made clear that the case remains active. Thames Valley Assistant Chief Constable Oliver Wright said, “Following a thorough assessment, we have now opened an investigation into this allegation of misconduct in public office.”
He added, “It is important that we protect the integrity and objectivity of our investigation as we work with our partners to investigate this alleged offence.”
Acknowledging the intense public scrutiny, Wright concluded, “We understand the significant public interest in this case, and we will provide updates at the appropriate time.”
Investigators have been examining Andrew’s past role as the United Kingdom’s special representative for international trade and investment, a position he held from 2001 after a 22-year Royal Navy career.
He stepped down in 2011 amid controversy surrounding his association with Jeffrey Epstein.
Allegations Against Ex-Prince Andrew That Led To The Arrest

The arrest is understood to relate to allegations that Andrew may have shared confidential information while serving as a trade envoy. Recent disclosures in the Epstein Files reportedly raised questions about communications involving sensitive material connected to official visits and potential investment discussions.
The unprecedented nature of the arrest has placed renewed strain on the royal family, already navigating a turbulent period.
While Andrew has consistently denied wrongdoing in relation to Epstein, the legal process is now underway.
As dusk fell over Norfolk, the once high-profile royal returned to Sandringham, no longer in formal attire but dressed down in a cardigan and shirt. The contrast between palace life and police custody was stark.
For the monarchy, the day will likely be remembered as one of the most extraordinary in recent history.
For Andrew, it marked a chapter unlike any before it.