Rob Reiner's Family Reportedly Keeping Distance From The Alleged Killer Son, Nick, Amid His Stay In Jail

By Favour Adegoke on February 18, 2026 at 9:45 PM EST
Updated on February 18, 2026 at 9:53 PM EST

Nick and Rob Reiner
Advertisement

Nick Reiner has reportedly not yet received any visits from family members amid his stay in jail after being accused of killing his parents, Rob Reiner and Michele Singer Reiner.

Relatives are said to be keeping their distance as they are struggling to come to terms with the accusations against him while also mourning the deaths of Rob and Michele Reiner.

The accused is due to appear in court again on February 23, where he will be represented by a public defender following the sudden withdrawal of his high-profile attorney.

Article continues below advertisement

Nick Reiner's Family Is Yet To Comprehend His Alleged Murder Of His Parents

Rob Reiner and Nick Reiner
Brent Perniac/AdMedia/Newscom/MEGA

Back in December, Nick Reiner was arrested for allegedly murdering his parents, Rob and Michele Reiner, at their home in the Brentwood neighborhood of Los Angeles, California.

He is currently being detained at the Twin Towers Correctional Facility, and according to reports, there have been no contact or prison visits from family members.

Sources have now explained why the family is keeping their distance amid ongoing legal processes ahead of Nick's murder trial.

"This isn't a misunderstanding or a minor scandal," an insider told Rob Shuter's #ShuterScoop. "He killed their parents. That changes everything."

Another source described the feelings of the family as "grief layered on top of horror," while suggesting they have yet to come to terms with the murder accusations brought against Nick.

Article continues below advertisement

"They're mourning their parents while also trying to comprehend what he's done. You don't just walk into a visiting room after that," said the insider.

Article continues below advertisement

Some Family Members Feel It Is Too Soon To Visit Nick Reiner

Rob Reiner
ZUMAPRESS.com / MEGA

In the early days of Nick's time in jail, he was placed on suicide watch, as is customary in such cases.

The alleged killer has since been taken off suicide watch and is now allowed to receive visitors if he chooses.

He is, however, unlikely to have any visitors, as some of his relatives feel it is too soon. This stance is also said to be unlikely to change, given the severity of the allegations against him.

"It's too soon — and for some of them, it may always be too soon," said one insider, according to the report.

Article continues below advertisement

The Alleged Killer Son's Siblings Are Establishing 'Boundaries' With Their Silence

Rob Reiner and Nick Reiner
Brent Perniac/AdMedia/Newscom/MEGA

Nick is the eldest child of Rob and Michele Reiner, who also have two other children, Max and Robbie.

His siblings and several of his other relatives have been forced to watch in shock as the family remains under intense public scrutiny while Nick awaits trial.

For all of them, the chosen approach is one of "silence." This is reportedly not meant as a punishment or act of revenge against Nick, but rather as a way to establish a necessary boundary.

"Silence isn't about cruelty," said a source. "It's about boundaries. It's about surviving something unthinkable."

Article continues below advertisement

The Reiner Family Reportedly Wants Nick Reiner's Medical History To Remain Private

Rob Reiner and Family
LuMarPHOTO / AFF-USA.COM / MEGA

Previously, it was reported that Nick's family was deeply concerned about the possibility of further details from his medical history being made public.

Already, claims of the accused being diagnosed with schizophrenia have swirled since his arrest, something the family never wanted, as they had intentionally kept these details from the public to protect.

"They've worked so hard to keep these issues private — no one knew about them," a source told Rob Shuter.

If more information about Nick's medical history were to come out, it is expected to deal a heavy emotional blow to the family, who remain deeply concerned about Nick, albeit from a distance.

"This is not just a legal case — it's a family tragedy," another insider shared. "They're terrified of what happens if everything becomes public, and of the toll it will take on everyone who loved Rob, Michele, and Nick."

Article continues below advertisement

Rob Reiner's Alleged Killer Son Has Not Yet Entered A Plea For The Murder Allegations

Rob Reiner and Nick Reiner
Brent Perniac/AdMedia/Newscom/MEGA

Nick is yet to enter a plea on the two counts of murder with special circumstances, but may likely do so when he returns to court on February 23.

He is currently being represented by a public defender after his high-profile lawyer, Alan Jackson, suddenly withdrew as his counsel during a hearing last month.

This forced the hearing to be rescheduled for the aforementioned date to give time to the public defender to get up to speed with the case.

Following a plea, additional hearings are expected, along with other court proceedings such as the exchange of evidence between the parties, potential motions concerning the defendant's mental health, and arguments over the admissibility of evidence.

Eventually, Nick's trial will be held, and if found guilty, he could potentially face the death penalty.

Advertisement