Melissa Gilbert's Message To Modern Prairie Community As She Returns To Role After Husband's Indictment
By Danielle Jennings on February 16, 2026 at 6:45 PM EST

Melissa Gilbert is moving forward following her husband Timothy Busfield's indictment on child sex abuse charges. The "Little House on the Prairie" star recently posted a new update following the ongoing scandal.
Taking to social media, Gilbert spoke directly to her Modern Prairie community, thanking them for their support following her husband's legal issues, and more.
Melissa Gilbert Shares Message To Supporters Amid Timothy Busfield's Indictment
View this post on Instagram
The actress officially marked her return to her company, Modern Prairie, with a video posted to Instagram thanking her fans, as her husband gears up for trial after being charged with child sex abuse last month.
"As many of you know, I stepped away for a little while to focus on my family," Gilbert said. "It was time I needed — time to be present, to tend to what matters most and to gather my strength in a season that has not been easy."
"Family is everything to me, and during this incredibly difficult time, I leaned into that truth fully," she continued before thanking her supporters.
"But something else carried me too: You did. This extraordinary community at Modern Prairie, you wrapped me in love. Even when I was quiet, I felt your prayers, I felt your encouragement, I felt your steady presence," Gilbert continued.
She also stressed that returning to the company does not mean that she is taking her family's legal troubles lightly.
"Coming back to work does not change my commitment or my resolve to the journey that lies ahead for my family — that remains steadfast, that remains my heart," Gilbert said.
"But it is important for me to step back into this work. It strengthens my mindset, it gives me purpose, it reminds me of who I am beyond hard days," she added.
Melissa Gilbert Previously Thanked Her Fans After Timothy Busfield Was Released From Custody Pending Trial

On January 26, Gilbert issued an official statement on Instagram, via Modern Prairie, following the jail release of Busfield.
"I'm sending you all my love and gratitude during this extraordinarily difficult time," Gilbert said at the time. "Not only for Tim, me and our family, but in the collective heaviness so many of us seem to be carrying right now. Add an unexpected storm to the mix, and it can all feel like a bit too much."
"This season has reminded me, very clearly, how important it is to slow down, prioritize what truly matters, and allow ourselves moments of rest. Stepping back from the noise, the news, and even our daily responsibilities from time to time gives us space to recharge, reflect, and find our center again," the actress continued.
Gilbert ended her message by thanking her fans for supporting her and Busfield amid allegations that sent shockwaves through Hollywood earlier this month.
"Thank you, truly, for the love, patience, and support you continue to show Tim and me," her message read." Thank you for helping me to feel safer, more grounded, and deeply held by this extraordinary community of women here at Modern Prairie. I'll be easing back into things thoughtfully and with care - moving forward one step at a time. More to come, and so much gratitude always."
Gilbert Was A Source Of Support During Busfield's Court Appearance Ahead Of His Release

During the court proceedings to determine whether or not Busfield would be released from jail, Gilbert was visibly emotional as she sat alongside family members at the hearing.
Once the judge announced his decision to release Busfield from custody with restrictions, the actress was seen clasping her hands together and saying, "Thank you, God."
Ahead of the hearing, Gilbert and some of Busfield's former co-stars all wrote letters of support for him, with her written declaration pleading with the judge to protect him while in custody.
"I know Tim better and more intimately than anything in his life ever has," Gilbert's letter read, while emphasizing that he has the "strongest moral compass of any human I have ever known…He starts every day with kindness and compassion."
"Please, please, take care of my sweet husband. As he is my protector, I am his, but I cannot protect him now, and I think that, more than anything else, is what is truly breaking my heart. I am relying on you to protect him for me," she continued.
Timothy Busfield's Attorney Spoke Out After The Actor Was Indicted

Speaking exclusively with Deadline, Timothy Busfield's attorney, Larry Stein, said that although the "indictment was not unexpected," he and his client intend to vigorously "fight" the charges against the "Thirtysomething" star.
"As the saying goes, a grand jury will indict a ham sandwich," Stein began. "What is deeply concerning is that the District Attorney is choosing to proceed on a case that is fundamentally unsound and cannot be proven at trial."
"The detention hearing exposed fatal weaknesses in the State's evidence — gaps that no amount of charging decisions can cure," he continued. "This prosecution appears driven by something other than the facts or the law. Mr. Busfield will fight these charges at every stage and looks forward to testing the State's case in open court — where evidence matters — not behind closed doors."
Busfield's Release Was Granted With Restrictions

Judge David A. Murray decided to grant Timothy Busfield release from jail on January 20, after hearing statements from both the defense and the prosecution.
The conditions of his release included the following: Being present for all upcoming court hearings, prohibited from having any "unsupervised contact with any minor children in this case," with instructions to "not to have any contact with the alleged victims or their families, and you're also not to discuss the case with any witnesses."