Savannah Guthrie's Mom's Kidnapping Takes A Darker Turn As Sheriff Addresses 'Botched Burglary' Claim

By Favour Adegoke on February 16, 2026 at 1:45 PM EST

Savannah Guthrie attends the 2024 White House Correspondents Dinner
Advertisement

The sheriff presiding over the kidnapping of "Today" host Savannah Guthrie's mother, Nancy, has dismissed the ongoing theory that it was a burglary gone wrong.

Pima County Sheriff Chris Nanos stated that the information did not come from his team and emphasized that investigators are more focused on following the evidence than speculating about motive.

So far, no arrests have been made in connection with the kidnapping of Nancy Guthrie, but authorities say they are actively pursuing all leads.

Article continues below advertisement

Local Sheriff Pushes Back Against New 'Botched Burglary' Claim

Savannah Guthrie and her mother, Nancy Guthrie
Instagram | Savannah Guthrie

Nancy Guthrie's abduction has continued to baffle concerned individuals since she went missing two weeks ago.

During that time, speculation has swirled over the cause of her mysterious disappearance, with one insider recently telling local TV outlet Arizona's Family that investigators had linked the abduction to a "burglary gone wrong."

However, that narrative has now been disputed by the Pima County sheriff, Chris Nanos, who oversees local law enforcement in the area where Nancy's home is located.

According to Nanos, the information shared by the alleged source was not a conclusion reached by the investigative team, nor was it information they had disclosed to the insider.

Article continues below advertisement

"It did not come from us," the sheriff said in a chat with Fox News. "No idea, and even though that is one of many possibilities, we would never speculate such a thing. We will let the evidence take us to motive."

Article continues below advertisement

Another Investigative Source Says The Burglary Claim Isn't The 'Working Theory' In The Nancy Guthrie Case

Savannah Guthrie and her mother at the Alliance for Women in Media Foundation's 37th Annual Gracie National Awards
MPI28/Capital Pictures / MEGA

The sentiment was echoed by another source directly involved in the investigation, who said the theory was "not the working theory" among investigators.

The insider further downplayed the claim, noting that residential homes are typically not burglarized at the time of day when Nancy's abduction occurred.

"Nighttime residential burglaries are so ridiculously rare. Crazy rare," said the individual, who also claimed it was more likely for a commercial building to be targeted.

Speaking further on why Nancy's home was considered an unlikely burglary target, investigative sources said the team found no evidence indicating that the elderly woman kept valuables of significant worth inside the house.

Article continues below advertisement

"We don't have any indication that [Guthrie] really kept anything valuable there, and if this was a burglary gone wrong, they don't take the victim with them usually," the insider continued. "I guess anything is possible, but my gut says it's something else entirely."

Article continues below advertisement

Ex-FBI Agent Believes Nancy Guthrie's Kidnapping Was Planned

Nancy Guthrie's suspected kidnapper
FBI/MEGA

The unlikely nature of Nancy's kidnapping was also weighed in on by Barbara Daly, a retired FBI agent who worked with the agency for more than three decades.

She stated that "adult kidnappings are extremely rare," adding that Nancy's age would have made abducting her even more difficult.

During her time with the bureau, Barbara Daly said she handled only about three kidnapping cases over her more than three-decade career, which seemingly led her to believe that Nancy's mysterious disappearance was carefully planned.

"To go into a house and try to remove somebody [makes this] a very high-risk crime," the behavioural threat assessment expert shared.

"There's usually pre-planning: knowing the person's patterns, whether there are cameras, the layout of the home, the method of egress," the ex-FBI employee continued. "We almost never see a spur-of-the-moment [kidnapping]."

Article continues below advertisement

No Arrests Have Been Made In Connection With The Kidnapping

Savannah Guthrie and her mother, Nancy Guthrie
Instagram | Savannah Guthrie

Despite two weeks having passed since Nancy Guthrie's disappearance, no arrests have been made in connection with the case.

Authorities say all involved agencies continue to pursue every lead in an effort to locate the octogenarian, whose health has been a significant concern since her abduction.

"The Pima County Sheriff's Department and the FBI continue to work together around the clock on this investigation, tracking all leads," read a recent update from the authorities, per USA Today.

Gloves Found Have Been Sent In For DNA Testing

Nancy Guthrie's suspected kidnapper
FBI/MEGA

As part of the investigation, authorities recovered a previously unavailable video from the front camera of Nancy's home, which led to a description of the alleged kidnapper.

It is now claimed that the unidentified person is a male, approximately 5'9" to 5'10" tall, with an average build.

Additionally, authorities also recovered a glove visually similar to the one worn by the armed suspect in the video.

The glove has since been sent for DNA testing, and while preliminary results have emerged, investigators have not shared any details about it.

Advertisement