In 2018 Franco was accused of sexually inappropriate behavior by five women.
One woman, who was a former acting student at the film school Franco founded, told The Times in 2018, “I feel there was an abuse of power, and there was a culture of exploiting non-celebrity women, and a culture of women being replaceable.”
Some of the accusations against Franco include him taking away protective coverings from his female counterparts during sexual scenes, and others claimed he would get angry when female co-stars refused to go topless for a scene.
At time the accusations came out Franco responded saying, “Look, in my life I pride myself on taking responsibility for things that I have done. I have to do that to maintain my well-being. The things that I heard that were on Twitter are not accurate. But I completely support people coming out and being able to have a voice because they didn’t have a voice for so long. So I don’t want to shut them down in any way.”
“If I have done something wrong,” he added, “I will fix it — I have to.”
Franco’s long-time friend and co-star, Rogen, revealed earlier this year that he would no longer be working with Franco and distancing himself.
This announcement shocked many fans given their years-long friendship and the tight-knit bond they had.
The actors have starred in projects such as, “Freaks and Geeks,” “Pineapple Express” and “This Is The End.”
In a May interview with The Sunday Times, Rogen revealed that he had no future plans of working with Franco following the sexual harassment accusations made against him.
“What I can say is that I despise abuse and harassment and I would never cover or conceal the actions of someone doing it, or knowingly put someone in a situation where they were around someone like that,” Rogen said.
Rogen Refuses To Work With Franco!
Rogen admitted that he regretted making light of the accusations in his 2014 ‘SNL’ opening monologue, and for telling Vulture in April 2018 that he would continue working with Franco despite the accusations.
He told the outlet, “I do look back at a joke I made on Saturday Night Live in 2014 and I very much regret making that joke. It was a terrible joke, honestly. And I also look back to that interview in 2018 where I comment that I would keep working with James, and the truth is that I have not and I do not plan to right now.”
Both their professional and personal relationships have been affected by the allegations.
This Is The End
Franco’s former ‘Freaks’ co-star, Busy Phillips, recently opened up about her thoughts on Rogen’s decision to distance himself from his former friend.
During her appearance on “The Last Laugh” podcast Busy said, “I have to say, I mean it’s interesting. They were super close and they had a very tight relationship.”
“I guess I was surprised, I just also though, I don’t know, I haven’t spent my days doing deep dives,” she continued. “I can’t speculate on their friendship.”
Busy Is Minding Her Own Business!
While she didn’t have much to say about Rogen and Franco’s relationship, she did have to say that her experience working with Franco was awful.
“I didn’t work with James past age 20, so I can only speak to the horrible behavior I experienced,” the “Girls5eva” star said.
She admitted that she wouldn’t want to work with someone who has multiple allegations of predatory behavior.
Busy insisted she would never in fact work with anyone like that.
The actress’ new show “Girls5eva” recently got renewed for a second season and while Busy hasn’t really been putting herself out there for acting roles, she is very excited about the news.