Donald Trump Throws Tantrum Over NBC Extending Seth Meyers' Late Night Show Contract: 'Sick Rumor'

By Fiyin Olowokandi on August 29, 2025 at 12:45 PM EDT

///Donald Trump Seth Meyers
Advertisement

With Donald Trump’s growing dislike for late-night hosts, Seth Meyers has become the latest target of the president’s ire.

In recent weeks, hosts Jimmy Kimmel, Jimmy Fallon, and Stephen Colbert were at the receiving end of Trump’s criticism. Now, the 47th U.S. President has turned his attention to Meyers, as it appears to have been brought to his notice that Meyers’ contract with NBC has been extended. 

The 53-year-old has been a longtime Trump critic, taking several jabs at him on “Late Night With Seth Meyers.” His renewed deal suggests that the jabs will likely continue until 2028. However, Trump appears eager to shut down that prospect.

Article continues below advertisement

Donald Trump Questions Seth Meyers’ Renewed TV Contract 

Trump Cabinet Meeting
CNP / MEGA

The 79-year-old politician is not taking the news of Meyers' extended run on late-night TV very well and has, in fact, promised to get to the root of it. 

“There is a sick rumor going around that Fake News NBC extended the contract of one of the least talented Late Night television hosts out there, Seth Meyers,” Trump wrote on his Truth Social platform.

He continued taking a blast at the stand-up artist’s talent. “He has no ratings, talent, or intelligence and the personality of an insecure child,” Trump criticized. "So, why would Fake News NBC extend this dope's contract? “I don't know, but I'll definitely be finding out!!!” Trump declared.

Article continues below advertisement

Seth Meyers’ Time On TV Is Assured Until 2028

Guests at the 7th Annual Headstrong Gala
MEGA

While it seems that POTUS just got wind of the “Saturday Night Live” alum’s continued TV show, the contract had already been finalized back in May 2024, according to Deadline.

As part of the new agreement, Meyers' production company, Sethmaker Shoemeyers, which he co-owns with Mike Shoemaker, will produce content across NBCUniversal studios. 

The comedian who has been hosting the show since 2014 described his career as a “real trip.” He further told the news outlet that, unlike James Corden and Trevor Noah, who both decided to step away from their productions after about seven years, he never felt the same urge to leave. 

According to the writer, his reason was that his own seventh year coincided with the pandemic, which was a “creative” reset for the show.  

Article continues below advertisement

NBC Universal Is Glad to Keep Seth Meyers On Board

Seth Meyers On Taylor Swift NFL Hate: 'Why Are You So Mad?'
MEGA

Meyers told the outlet that he hasn’t grown tired of being on air because he gets to experiment and try new things, before crediting the hours of work he put in. 

Katie Hockmeyer, EVP, Late Night Programming for the entertainment group, praised Meyers’ decade-long screen presence, saying he was able to connect with the audience with his “sharp monologues,” and segments such as “A Closer Look, and Day Drinking.”

She added, "We're so happy to continue this legacy franchise with Seth at the helm and watch him continue to elevate the success of Late Night."

Article continues below advertisement

Donald Trump Gloats At Colbert Show’s Ending, Predicts  Jimmy Kimmel Faces The Same Fate

Stephen Colbert at An Evening With Stephen Colbert And Tony Gilroy: Andor Season 2
ZUMAPRESS.com / MEGA

Trump's threats to investigate how NBC renewed Meyers' contract may not be idle, as the former president has long shown animosity toward late-night hosts. When “The Late Show with Stephen Colbert” came to an end, Trump wasted no time celebrating the news.

As The Blast reported, Trump took to his Truth Social page, announcing, "I absolutely love that Colbert got fired. His talent was even less than his ratings. I hear Jimmy Kimmel is next.”

The politician went on to compare the hosts, claiming that Kimmel has "less talent than Colbert," while commending Greg Gutfeld as the best of the three.

Article continues below advertisement

The end of Colbert’s long-running program followed after he shed light on a possible health condition affecting the president. Colbert remarked that he noticed something unusual about Trump's skin, suggesting that the dad of five appeared to be using concealer to cover a bruise during a recent outing.

Gayle King Also Received Donald Trump’s Fury

Gayle King
Jeffrey Mayer/JTMPhotos, Int'l. / MEGA

Earlier in August, The Blast reported that Trump lashed out at CBS's Gayle King, accusing her of losing belief in him. 

"Gayle King's career is over. She should have stayed with her belief in TRUMP. She never had the courage to do so,” the Republican wrote, adding that she has no “talent, ratings, and strength."

He included a New York Post article that alleged that King’s future at CBS was uncertain as viewers' frustration with the "woke" tone of the morning broadcast had prompted management to consider cutting ties with King.

Advertisement