Lonnie Phelps holding championship trophy

NFL's Lonnie Phelps Arrested After Crashing Car Into A Restaurant

Home / Sports / NFL's Lonnie Phelps Arrested After Crashing Car Into A Restaurant

By Kelly Coffey-Behrens on June 20, 2024 at 12:45 PM EDT

Cleveland Browns defensive lineman Lonnie Phelps, 23, was arrested Wednesday night.

Police report that the NFL star caused some trouble after he drunkenly crashed a Hyundai into a restaurant and then refused to cooperate.

Lonnie Phelps, who played for the University of Kansas and signed with the Browns as an undrafted free agent in 2023, was ultimately taken away in handcuffs and charged with a DUI and property damage.

Article continues below advertisement

NFL Star Arrested On A DUI

According to the Key West Police Department incident report obtained by TMZ, it all went down around 8:47 p.m. outside the Red Shoe Island Bistro in Key West, Florida.

Police responded to a traffic crash, and when they arrived, they saw a black Hyundai inside the restaurant.

Eyewitnesses ID'ed Lonnie Phelps and his girlfriend as the individuals inside the car at the time of the crash. According to the docs, when the cops attempted to question the NFL star and his girl, neither cooperated, causing more of a disturbance.

Article continues below advertisement

Lonnie Phelps Identified As The Driver At The Time Of The Crash

Despite the Cleveland Browns player consistently talking over police and interrupting them, they eventually identified Phelps as the driver of the car, with his girlfriend in the passenger seat. He was also showing signs that he was intoxicated throughout the line of questioning.

The 23-year-old finally agreed to take a sobriety test, but he caused more problems as the docs claim he wasn't happy with how they were administered.

Phelps was ultimately arrested and placed in the back of the police car.

Article continues below advertisement

The Complaints Continue...

Police had their hands full with Lonnie Phelps as they say the 23-year-old NFL star did nothing but complain the entire car ride to the police station.

"Phelps talked about how thirsty he was," one officer wrote in the report, per TMZ. "How he did not know what I was going to do to him because females are the worst, asked me not to kill him, asked me how long it takes to bail out, how long I was the detective and informed me I was Russian."

But it didn't end there because once they arrived at the station, the 23-year-old continued to give the police a hard time. Not only did he refuse to take a breathalyzer, but he also urinated on himself while sitting on a chair.

Article continues below advertisement

In the end, the Cleveland Browns defensive lineman was charged with a DUI and property damage. He's due in court for a hearing next month.

Article continues below advertisement

Chiefs' Isaiah Buggs Arrested

Isaiah Buggs during Pittsburgh Steelers game

Lonnie Phelps's arrest comes just days after Kansas City Chiefs player Isaiah Buggs was arrested after he allegedly dragged the mother of his child down a flight of stairs.

As The Blast previously reported, Isaiah Buggs, 27, was arrested on Sunday and was charged with second-degree domestic violence/burglary. The victim informed police that the NFL star broke into her Tuscaloosa, Alabama, residence with a tire iron around 5:28 a.m. He then went upstairs to confront her, allegedly dragging her down the stairs before being arrested.

He was on a 24-hour domestic violence hold with a bond set at $5,000 and was released early Monday.

Janarius Robinson Arrested On Suspicion Of DUI

Both of these arrests come months after Raiders defensive end Janarius Robinson was arrested for suspicion of DUI after he allegedly hit a woman with his car.

According to Bleacher Report, officers were called to the Aria Resort & Casino after a call came in of a woman who was hit by a car and then "became pinned between two cars."

When officers arrived at the scene and spoke to Robinson, they said, "his speech was mumbled and his body was slightly swaying side to side" despite telling police that he had two drinks starting at 10 p.m. and stopped drinking at 11 p.m., nearly seven hours before the accident occurred at 5:45 a.m.

He was ultimately released on his own recognizance.

Article continues below advertisement