Prince Harry & Meghan Markle

Prince Harry Debuts New Documentary On Disney’s Hulu In Massive Snub To Netflix

Home / Entertainment / Prince Harry Debuts New Documentary On Disney’s Hulu In Massive Snub To Netflix

By Favour Adegoke on February 26, 2024 at 10:15 AM EST
Updated on February 27, 2024 at 5:21 AM EST

In a surprising turn of events, Prince Harry released a new Invictus Games documentary on Disney’s Hulu, despite his five-year deal with Netflix. The documentary features the Duke of Sussex talking about his love for the Games and his family.

Harry and his wife, Meghan Markle’s relationship with Netflix has reportedly been rocky, especially regarding financing. The couple hasn’t delivered many projects with the streaming giant, just their hit documentary and a film about Invictus games. However, they reportedly have several projects in the works, including a romance novel film adaptation.

Article continues below advertisement

Prince Harry's New Documentary Debuts On Hulu

Meghan Markle Wears $1.6K Dress On Romantic Island Getaway
MEGA

Harry released a new documentary on Hulu, where he talks about the Invictus Games, his passion project, and the royal family. The documentary is titled “Prince Harry's Mission: Life, Family, And The Invictus Games.” It was compiled from multiple interviews Harry gave the ABC during his recent trip to Canada.

Harry traveled with Meghan to Whistler, Canada, to prepare for the 2025 Invictus Games. This includes his interview on “Good Morning America” earlier this February, where he spoke about traveling to the UK to see his father, King Charles III, after his cancer diagnosis.

Amid the release, a source at Netflix spoke to the DailyMail and expressed surprise at the news. This is because Harry and Meghan are currently under a $100 million contract with the streaming giant.

Article continues below advertisement

A senior TV news producer further said the release couldn’t be a mistake, as Harry would have had to sign a release form for the interviews and documentary.

Article continues below advertisement

His Relationship With Netflix Has Been Rocky

Prince Harry accuses William of physically attacking him in his book "Spare."
MEGA

Harry and Meghan’s relationship with Netflix has been a controversial topic, with many saying it’s on the rocks. This heightened when the couple launched their new Sussex website, which included details of their various businesses and charitable ventures but failed to mention Netflix under the section for Archewell productions.

Sources told the Daily Mail that there’s dissatisfaction with the agreement, on both Harry and Meghan’s part and on the part of the Netflix executives. At the time of signing in late 2020, reports claimed the deal was worth $100 million, but this has been debated recently.

Article continues below advertisement

The financing for Harry and Meghan’s projects with Netflix has also been a hot topic, as rumors say the company is only covering overhead costs. This is reportedly only about $3 million, and any further income for the couple is dependent on them delivering successful projects.

Article continues below advertisement

Harry & Meghan Haven’t Done Many Projects With Netflix

Meghan Markle Wears $1.6K Dress On Romantic Island Getaway
MEGA

Since the deal began, Harry and Meghan haven’t released many projects on Netflix. So far, they include their hit documentary titled “Harry & Meghan” and a film titled “Heart of Invictus.”

However, they’ve teased multiple projects in the works, including a film adaptation of the popular romance novel “Meet Me At The Lake.”

Harry and Meghan are also working on a TV show, which remains unnamed, and another documentary. The second documentary was teased by Netflix executive Bela Bajaria, who said it’s in the “early early stages” of development.

So far, there are claims that the Duke and Duchess of Sussex have only gotten about $20 million from Netflix for their projects, which is minimal compared to the alleged worth of the deal. One source even called the Sussexes’ Netflix deal a “dead duck.”

Prince Harry Speaks About Visiting King Charles

Prince Harry accuses William of physically attacking him in his book "Spare."
MEGA

The Hulu documentary included Harry’s recent interview with Will Reeve for ABC News. During it, Harry spoke about his quick trip to the UK to see his father, King Charles, after he heard the news about his cancer diagnosis.

He said, “I jumped on a plane and went to go see him as soon as I could. Look, I love my family. The fact that I was able to get on a plane and go and see him and spend any time with him, I'm grateful for that.”

Harry didn’t speak much about the diagnosis but added that he plans to see his father again soon. The Duke said, “I've got other trips planned that will take me through the U.K. or back to the U.K., and so I'll stop in and see my family as much as I can."

Article continues below advertisement

During the interview, Harry was also asked about Charles’ illness bringing the royal family closer together. He replied positively and said he’s seen how “any illness, any sickness, brings families together,” in the case of Invictus athletes he’s worked with.

Article continues below advertisement