Elon Musk’s internet system, Starlink, experienced some major issues Tuesday evening as it was down for several minutes internationally for reasons unknown.
Now, Starlink has released a statement on the outage.
Starlink Acknowledges Outage
Starlink is Elon Musk’s internet, which is described as, “With Starlink, users can engage in activities that historically have not been possible with satellite internet. Starlink’s high-speed, low-latency service is made possible via the world’s largest constellation of highly advanced satellites operating in a low orbit around the Earth.”
Although fans are irritated about the Starlink outage, the company has released a statement on the situation.
“Starlink is currently in a network outage and we are actively implementing a solution,” they Tweeted. “We appreciate your patience, we’ll share an update once this issue is resolved.”
The Blast reported that as of 8:48 p.m. EST it seems that Starlink seems to be back up and running, though the company has yet to release another statement. The reason for the outage is still unknown at this time.
Fans Outraged At Starlink Outage
Just moments after Starlink went down, fans took to Reddit to discuss the outage.
One user wrote, “Starlink down for the last 20 minutes in the Caribbean. Just found out that my wife left me last Christmas,” as another said, “Seems like global outage holy sh*t look at all of us with back up internet I’m proud of all of you.”
While one user complained, “Got Obstructed….then Disconnected ….. then Offline…. then Disconnected.”
As another Reddit user wrote, “My kids have been pacing the floor. They’re single handedly blaming Elon & said he’s doing this on purpose. One of them even grabbed a book and started reading. Tis the end of the world.”
Others took to Twitter voice their concerns. “@elonmusk you better have a damn good explanation for the @Starlink outage. Because after this Crimea nonsense they are gonna rake you over the coals in the MSM. 🤦♂️,” one fan said.
Elon Musk Refuses Ukraine To Use Starlink For Surprise Attack
Yesterday, AP News reported, “SpaceX founder Elon Musk’s refusal to allow Ukraine to use Starlink internet services to launch a surprise attack on Russian forces in Crimea last September has raised questions as to whether the U.S. military needs to be more explicit in future contracts that services or products it purchases could be used in war, Air Force Secretary Frank Kendall said Monday.”
Their report continued, “Excerpts of a new biography of Musk published by The Washington Post last week revealed that the Ukrainians in September 2022 had asked for the Starlink support to attack Russian naval vessels based at the Crimean port of Sevastopol. Musk had refused due to concerns that Russia would launch a nuclear attack in response. Russia seized Crimea from Ukraine in 2014 and claims it as its territory.”
“Musk was not on a military contract when he refused the Crimea request; he’d been providing terminals to Ukraine for free in response to Russia’s February 2022 invasion,” their report continued. “However, in the months since, the U.S. military has funded and officially contracted with Starlink for continued support. The Pentagon has not disclosed the terms or cost of that contract, citing operational security.”