Mac Miller was killed by a toxic combination of fentanyl and cocaine, but investigators were not able to determine whether or not he made a conscious decision to take fentanyl or if the deadly opioid was unknowingly mixed into his other drugs.
The L.A. County Coroner determined the hip-hop star died from “mixed drug toxicity,” and was found with amounts small amounts of cocaine, fentanyl and even alcohol in his blood.
According to the autopsy report, Miller had a bloody right nostril and investigators found two small bags of powdery white substances, as well as a rolled up $20 bill.
As for how Miller ingested the fentanyl, investigators are unsure if he took it separately from the cocaine. An official from the coroner’s office tells The Blast, “We can’t say with certainty how [Miller] took the drug or if it was in the same source as the cocaine.”
The opioid epidemic has ravaged Hollywood over the past years, taking down stars like Prince and Tom Petty. Reports of batches of cocaine laced with fentanyl have been a growing problem, with many unsuspecting users getting seriously ill after ingesting the powerful drug.
Those familiar with the situation theorize that drug dealers who dabble in selling both fentanyl and cocaine may be accidentally mixing batches of powder and giving trace amounts of fentanyl to customers on the street.
As we reported, investigators found an iPad belonging to the “Small Worlds” rapper that was covered in white powder. They believe Miller was snorting lines off the tablet before his death, but the big question remains whether he was also unknowingly snorting the deadly opioid.