The couple who allegedly requested the footage to help improve their security were met with an unfavorable response from the agency. They emphasized that Harry and Markle had no right to ask because they were not entitled to such advantages in America.
Shortly after word of the automobile chase surfaced, the paparazzi were criticized for putting Harry and Meghan’s lives in danger in a statement issued by the couple’s representatives.
Keep on reading to learn more.
Prince Harry & Meghan Markle’s Demand For Footage Of ‘Car Chase’
Per Page Six, Harry and his wife Markle have asked photo agency, Backgrid, to hand over all “copies of all photos, videos, and films” they took after their “near-catastrophic car chase.”
The incident happened Tuesday night while the couple was in New York City for an event.
“We at this moment demand that Backgrid immediately provide us with copies of all photos, videos, and films taken last night by the freelance photographers after the couple left their event and over the next several hours,” read a letter from the Susssexes via their lawyers.
It was claimed that the former senior royals requested the footage to improve their security, but they were surprisingly met with a snarky response from the photo agency.
Backgrid lawyers fired back at the Sussexes, saying that “third parties cannot just demand it be given to them” in America, unlike what they might have been used to as royals in Britain.
Photo Agency Denies Sussexes’ Claim Of ‘Near-Fatal’ Chase
The photo agency went on to debunk the royals’ claims that photographers from their agency had captured images of a near-crash that involved them.
“According to the photographers present, there were no near-collisions or near-crashes during this incident,” Backgrid USA told the publication.
The agency also remarked that the Sussexes were never in any “immediate danger at any point,” nor were they “chased by highly aggressive paparazzi.”
As for the photographers being at the location with the Sussexes, Backgrid noted that it was their responsibility “to cover newsworthy events and personalities, including public figures such as Prince Harry and Meghan Markle.”
However, the company assured Prince Harry and Meghan that they would keep looking into the situation, albeit they weren’t clear on how they would do so.
Meghan Markle’s Mom Was In The Car
Markle’s mom was also involved in the “near-fatal” car chase as she had joined her daughter and son-in-law to attend the event in New York.
Reports have it that the mother of the former actress was “terrified” by the shocking incident, which also left the Sussex upset.
A source alleged that the chase “started with 12 paparazzi, then ended up with four chasing [Meghan, Harry, and Doria],” per Page Six.
It was also reported that the couple’s “security tried their best to lose [photographers]” and recorded several videos to use as evidence.
While it appears that the car occupants sustained no injuries, the same could not be said for the paparazzi, as one reportedly collided with a car while another almost slammed into an NYPD officer amid the drama.
Prince Harry & Meghan Markle’s Reps Released A Statement
A statement released by Harry and Meghan’s representatives shortly after the news of the car chase spread slammed paparazzi for endangering their lives.
“The Duke and Duchess of Sussex and Ms. Ragland were involved in a near catastrophic car chase at the hands of a ring of highly aggressive paparazzi,” read the statement claiming that it lasted over two hours.
It continued, “While being a public figure comes with a level of interest from the public, it should never come at the cost of anyone’s safety.”
The shocking incident comes in the wake of the UK Home Office releasing a statement that said Harry would not be allowed to pay for private police to provide security for his family.
The Duke and his wife previously had their assigned security removed after they stepped back from being senior royals in 2020.