Five People Shot Dead
I would like to thank our officers who arrived on scene within 3 minutes of the 9-1-1 call and our fellow first responders for their assistance.
I also want to acknowledge our officer who interacted with the suspect. The actions of this 24-year @yrp veteran likely saved lives.
— Chief Jim MacSween (@chiefmacsween) December 19, 2022
Residents of a condo unit near Toronto were shocked when shots rang out early Sunday evening around 7:30pm and later learning that five people had been gunned down. YRP shared in a press conference shortly after the incident that “the suspect is deceased.”
The building is located on Jane Street in the City of Vaughan. “When police arrived, an interaction occurred between the officers and a male subject and the subject was shot, the York police said in a statement.
They had showed up on the scene after it was reported that “an active male shooter who had shot several victims.” The released also went on to say, “he was pronounced deceased at the scene.”
SIU Is Now Investigating
The statement issued, closed out informing viewers that the situation is now being investigated by the Special Investigations Unit (SIU) of the Ontario Police. York Police Chief James MacSween said “We offer our sincere condolences to the victims and their families,’ in the statement released.
They also called the scene “horrendous” and confirmed that overall pertaining to this incident, there are “six deceased. One of them is the subject. The other five are victims.” So far, the SIU has not named the victims nor have they released the name of the shooter. It is listed as “active and ongoing.”
This Is Not Normal For Canada
It is rare that the country have an incident such as this one it has happened in the past but relatively rare for the north. The last incident involved 51-year-old Gabriel Wortman who went on a shooting spree in Nova Scotia in 2020.
In a statement released by the Royal Mounted Police read, “Today is a devastating day for Nova Scotia and it will remain etched in the minds of many, for years to come. What has unfolded overnight and into this morning is incomprehensible and many families are experiencing the loss of a loved one.”
“Countless families are in mourning today. Each person who lost their life had family and friends and they too will need support.” The statement went on to read. “The impact of this incident will extend from one end of this province to the other. As Nova Scotians, we have to do what we are known for. And come together in times of need and support one another.”