After months of anticipation, the premiere date of Prince Harry and his wife Meghan Markle‘s two-part Netflix docuseries has been unveiled. In January 2020, the couple announced that they had decided to step back from their roles as senior members of the British Royal family. The decision robbed them of the title of senior royals and everything that came with it.
Listen to this article:
Read by: Cameron Thomas
The famed couple went on to have a seemingly troubled relationship with the rest of the family stemming from their decision and a tell-all interview with Oprah Winfrey earlier this year.
Harry and Markle’s docuseries announcement with Netflix didn’t help matters and further alienated them from the royal family, particularly the father of two’s brother, Prince William.
Read on to learn more.
Prince Harry And Meghan Markle’s Docuseries Release Date Revealed
After months of waiting, Netflix just announced that the first volume of the couple’s six-episode docuseries would be available on December 8 on the streaming platform. Volume two of the “Harry & Meghan” series will reportedly premiere on December 15.
The docuseries will highlight everything the couple faced during their time together and some behind-the-scenes occurrences in the royal family. The news of the series’ release date was followed by a trailer where the couple could be heard talking.
The father of two said, “It’s really hard to look back on it now and go, ‘What on earth happened?’ There’s a hierarchy of the family.” “You know, there’s leaking, but there’s also planting of stories.” He continued, “It’s a dirty game.”
Prince Harry Says He Didn’t Want History To Repeat Itself
Further in the trailer, a clip of Princess Diana and Kate Middleton closely followed by photographers was shown. In a voiceover for the scene, Harry said, “The pain and suffering of women marrying into this institution — this feeding frenzy.”
At this point, Markle chips in, revealing that at some point, she realized that “they’re never going to protect you.” The Duke of Sussex talked about Princess Diana, his late mother, revealing that he was “terrified” of past incidents repeating themselves. He added, “No one knows the full truth. We know the full truth.”
The documentary was directed by Liz Garbus, known for her Oscar nomination-worthy movies. The director was the brains behind celebrity biography films such as “Becoming Cousteau,” “What Happened, Miss Simone?” And “Love, Marylin,” “
Meghan Markle And Prince Harry Signed A Contract With Netflix In 2020
Netflix revealed that the forthcoming series would delve into the “clandestine days of their early courtship and the challenges that led to them feeling forced to step back from their full-time roles in the institution.”
The popular platform further explained that the audience can expect commentary from the friends and family of the couple, the majority of whom have yet to talk about incidents they witnessed. There would also be input from historians that will shed light on the relationship of the royal family with the press and the current state of the British Commonwealth.
“The series does more than illuminate one couple’s love story; it paints a picture of our world and how we treat each other,” it added.
Meghan and Harry partnered with Netflix as far back as September 2020 in a multi-year agreement. The deal would see the couple’s Sussex production company, now known as Archewell Productions, release exclusive titles on l scripted shows, documentaries, docuseries, children’s programming, and feature films for the streaming giant.
Meghan Markle Speaks On Working On The Netflix Docuseries
During an interview with Variety in October, Meghan talked about the Netflix series and how she felt about Garbus’ input. “It’s nice to be able to trust someone with our story — a seasoned director whose work I’ve long admired — even if it means it may not be the way we would have told it,” she said.
The Duchess of Sussex added, “But that’s not why we’re telling it. We’re trusting our story to someone else, and that means it will go through their lens.” Markle went on to note her husband’s inexperience, her experience in the entertainment industry, and how “amazing” she felt being around so many creators.
The mother of two gave a similarly vague answer when talking about the docuseries in an earlier interview with The Cut, explaining that she had no intention of being “cagey.” According to Markle, she stayed away from the press and, as a result, did not know what part of the series was confirmed.