The highly anticipated Star Wars movie, “Rogue Squadron,” is not going to be coming out in 2023, as most fans had hoped.
Back in November 2021, Disney pushed back the release dates for many of their Marvel titles due to the COVID-19 pandemic. According to The Hollywood Reporter, “Rogue Squadron” has been removed from the production schedule at that time, although it later reappeared.
Although “Wonder Woman” creator Patty Jenkins and writer Matthew Robinson have been reportedly working on the project for over a year, preproduction was supposed to have started by the beginning of this year.
With Jenkins hard at work on “Wonder Woman 3,” it seems that Disney has abandoned “Rogue Squadron” and its scheduled December 23, 2023 release date.
‘Wonder Woman’ Creator Patty Jenkins’ ‘Star Wars’ Film ‘Rogue Squadron’ Wiped From Disney Release Calendar
On September 15, The Hollywood Reporter noted that “Rogue Squadron” has been officially removed from Disney’s release calendar. The movie would have been the first since 2019’s “The Rise of Skywalker” wrapped up the nine-episode Skywalker Saga.
Although fans know that Jenkins put the film on the back burner to focus on “Wonder Woman 3,” it still leaves the question of when Star Wars fans will be able to head to the movie theaters to see a film in a galaxy far, far away.
The project was first announced at Disney investor day in 2020, when Jenkins said that she hoped to make “the greatest fighter pilot ever made.” At this point, it is unclear if “Rogue One” will actually get made, or if the plans for the movie will be scrapped.
There are still two other untitled Star Wars films on Disney’s calendar: one scheduled for December 19, 2025, and one scheduled for December 17, 2027. Although Marvel boss Kevin Feige has been rumored to be creating a Star Wars movie for Lucasfilm, nothing has been confirmed.
“Thor: Ragnarok” director Taika Waititi has also been working on a Star Wars project that has been delayed by his other commitments. However, even he previously admitted that he has doubts about whether his finished script will actually be made into a movie.
Taika Waititi Admits That His Movie May Never Get Made!
On May 4 2020, Lucasfilm announced that Taika Waititi would co-write a new Star Wars movie alongside “Last Night in Soho” writer Krysty Wilson-Cairns. Unfortunately, it seems that he’s made little progress on the film since that time due to his obligations to Marvel and his own films.
In a recent interview with the New York Times, Waititi revealed that he is still in the process of writing the script. However, even once he finishes it, he doesn’t know that Lucasfilm will approve the project.
“I’m trying to write the ‘Star Wars’ idea at the moment,” he explained. “I’ve got to see how that goes, because once I submit it, that might determine when it gets made or if it gets made, even.”
Fans may remember that “Jurassic World” creator Colin Treverrow was hired to complete Episode IX of the Skywalker Saga. Although Treverrow turned in a completed script, which has since leaked online as “Duel of the Fates,” he parted ways with Lucasfilm and its President, Kathleen Kennedy, over creative differences.
In an interview with Total Film, Taika Waititi revealed that he does have plans for his movie, and wants to expand the universe by bringing in new characters that fans have never seen before.
“Look, I think for the Star Wars universe to expand, it has to expand,” Waititi said. “I don’t think that I’m any use in the Star Wars universe making a film where everyone’s like, ‘Oh great, well that’s the blueprints to the Millennium Falcon, ah that’s Chewbacca’s grandmother.'”
“That all stands alone, that’s great, though I would like to take something new and create some new characters and just expand the world, otherwise it feels like it’s a very small story,” he added.
In another interview The Wrap, Waititi shut down rumors that his film would be released in 2023. “I’m going to be in New Zealand from August until the end of the year with ‘Our Flag Means Death’ and ‘Time Bandits’ and during that time I will still be writing,” he explained, adding, “I’m still trying to figure out what the story is.”
At least fans have many upcoming Disney+ series to look forward to. Fans can find out more information about all the Star Wars knew to come out of the annual D23 Expo by clicking here.