Last Friday, the “Peaches” singer revealed that one side of his face has been paralyzed after receiving a diagnosis of Ramsay Hunt Syndrome. The following day, he asked fans to pray for him and said that it was getting harder for him to eat.
Although he deleted the initial post he made on Monday night, the text still remains on his Instagram Story.
Justin Bieber Says ‘Each Day Has Gotten Better’ Since His Diagnosis Of Ramsay Hunt Syndrome
The “Baby” singer took to Instagram to share that he “Wanted to share a little bit of how I’ve been feelin.”
“Each day has gotten better and through all of the discomfort I have found comfort in the one who designed me and knows me,” he continued. “I’m reminded he knows all of me. He know the darkest parts of me that I want no one to know about and he constantly welcomes me into his loving arms.”
Bieber said that “this perspective has given me peace during this horrific storm that I’m facing.” He concluded, “I know this storm will pass but in the meantime JESUS IS WITH ME.”
In the caption of the since-deleted post, the Canadian singer wrote, “By this point in my life I realize storms come and go. Jesus continues to remind me that he is with me in the midst of the storm.
“It’s not about the storm,” he added. “It’s that we are NEVER ALONE AND HE UNDERSTANDS. 😭😭😭😭.”
Justin Bieber Struggles With Facial Paralysis In Shocking Video
View this post on Instagram
On Friday, the “Ghost” singer revealed that he suffered from a rare neurological condition on Friday known as Ramsay Hunt Syndrome.
“As you can see, this eye is not blinking,” Justin explained as he tried to move one side of his face. “I can’t smile on this side of my face. This nostril won’t move.”
“I wish this wasn’t the case but obviously my body’s telling me I gotta slow down and I hope you guys understand and I’ll be using this time to just rest and relax and get back to one-hundred percent so I can get back to do what I was born to do,” he told his fans. “But, in the meantime, this ain’t it.”
“I’m gonna get better, and I’m doing all these facial exercises to get my face back to normal, and it will go back to normal,” he said. “It’s just time, and we don’t know how much time it’s gonna be, but it’s gonna be OK. I have hope, and I trust God, and I trust that this is all for a reason. I’m not sure what that is right now, but in the meantime, I’m going to rest and I love you guys. Peace.”
A source close to the singer told Page Six that “Bieber will be okay,” saying that he canceled his upcoming concerts “because of an infection, paralysis on the right side. He will recover.”
5 In 100,000 People Are Reportedly Diagnosed With ‘Very, Very Rare Disorder’
After Justin announced his diagnosis, PEOPLE sat down with Dr. Amit Kochhar, MD. Kochhar is a board-certified otolaryngologist (ENT) and director of the Facial Nerve Disorders Program at Pacific Neuroscience Institute at Providence Saint John’s Health Center in Santa Monica, California.
Kochhar told the publication that it is a “very, very rare disorder,” but the second most common cause of atraumatic peripheral facial paralysis after Bell’s Palsy. Kochhar said that it only occurs in around five in 100,000 people.
The syndrome is caused by a shingles virus reactivation in the face, which means that children who’ve had chicken pox of the varicella-zoster virus as a child are susceptible to contracting this.
In terms of long-term effects, Kocchar said that about 75% of people will make a complete recovery. On the other hand, 25% of people may “develop some typo of long-term nerve damage,” Kochhar warned.
He said these long-term effects can include unwanted facial spasms, tightness or discomfort, and in “the most severe cases,” facial asymmetry. Dr. Kocchar said that these side effects are more likely to occur in those who take longer than a month to recover.
“There’s no way to know who’s going to develop long-term issues,” Dr. Kocchar said, adding, “If they recover within the first three to four weeks, usually they’ll have a pretty good chance of a clean recovery.”