A new update from the “Rust” shooting reportedly claims Alec Baldwin didn’t want filming to come to an end despite the tragic killing of Halyna Hutchins.
In a new arbitration filed by Baldwin himself, this controversial information was allegedly released to the media.
Alec Baldwin Wanted ‘Rust’ To Be Completed
According to Variety, the arbitration documents were filed by Baldwin against lead producer Ryan Smith and Rust Move Productions LLC to invoke the indemnification clause of his producer contract. Baldwin hopes the indemnification will make Smith and the production company to assume liability for all his legal claims and cover his defense costs.
While the arbitration demand was the highlight of the court documents filed, the filing fully detailed Baldwin’s involvement in the filming, especially as regards the tragic shooting of cinematographer Hutchins.
As you might know, Baldwin was the one holding the gun when the accidental discharge that contained a live bullet struck Hutchins and director Joel Souza. Unfortunately, Hutchins died and Souza sustained injuries.
According to reports, while the production of “Rust” came to an abrupt halt following the devastating incident, the filing shows that Baldwin pushed for filming to continue.
Hutchins died on October 21, 2021. However, according to the court documents, Baldwin began pushing for production resumption barely two weeks after her death.
The “SNL” alum reportedly began discussions with other producers by November 3, asking for a possible settlement to allow the full resume production.
“Baldwin was able to convince each of the primary actors needed to complete the film and the film’s director Souza — who had been injured in that day’s events — that finishing ‘Rust’ was an important step in honoring Halyna Hutchins’s memory and talent, defining her legacy, and, in turn, providing financial support to her family,” an excerpt of the document reads.
Baldwin Wanted ‘Rust’ To Keep Filming For Hutchins
Baldwin persuaded for the continued production of “Rust”, not for personal reasons but to allegedly honor the late Hutchins’ legacy.
The filing states that after talking to the producers in November, the lead actor had a discussion with Hutchins’ widower Matthew Hutchins in January about the settlement.
Apparently, Baldwin believed that a portion of the profits from the finished film can be used to settle Matthew and his son whom he shared with Halyna.
The filing reads, “depending on the success of ‘Rust’ upon its completion and release, this additional component of the settlement would likely have equaled millions of dollars.”
In Baldwin’s first discussion with Matthew, it was said that the widower was open to the idea and found the settlement, “interesting.” However, by the second discussion which was held on January 26, he became “less open-minded.”
To Baldwin and the production team’s surprise by February, Matthew filed a wrongful death suit against the actor and the team, thereby killing all plans and hopes of the settlement.
“Plans to complete ‘Rust’ and to channel its proceeds into a fund for Hutchins’ and his son’s benefit have unfortunately broken down as a result of the lawsuit and these public statements,” the document reads.
A Wrongful Death Lawsuit Filed
As The Blast reported, Hutchins filed a wrongful lawsuit on February 15 naming Baldwin and the team. The grieved Hutchins family sued for punitive damages, funeral and burial expenses, emotional damage, and two other charges.
Even though Baldwin has maintained innocence about the shooting, saying he had no idea the prop gun contained a live round, the lawsuit makes him criminally charged in Hutchins’ death.
Following the lawsuit, Matthew sat down with Today Show where he expressed his anger towards Baldwin after he said he didn’t feel responsible for his late wife’s death.
In December, the actor sat down with ABC News’ George Stephanopoulos and said he wasn’t responsible for pulling the trigger.
Hutchins was particularly angered by that statement as he told Today’s Hoda Kotb, “the idea that the person holding the gun and causing it to discharge is not responsible is absurd to me.”
The heartbroken husband shared that he was upset seeing Baldwin talk so publicly about his late wife without taking responsibility.
He also touched on the problems faced on the set, including gun control issues and failure to follow industry-set standards.
Matthew expressed disappointment that no one has been charged or arrested for his wife’s death as the Santa Fe Sheriff’s Office reports the investigation “open and ongoing.”