It’s been almost three weeks now, since the tragic events that unfolded, at Travis Scott‘s annual Astroworld Festival. Over 300 people were injured at the Houston-based concert, and 10 people went on to lose their lives, from the injuries they sustained.
Over 300 lawsuits have since been filed against Travis, other organizers such as Live Nation and Apple, and even Drake. Many want the full blame pointed at Travis, but some attorneys are now weighing in, on why this may not actually be the case, legally.
Travis May Not Have Caused The Chaos At Astroworld Festival
Brutzkus Gunner Rozansky Seror Weber attorney, Nick Rozansky, told Yahoo! Finance, that putting all of the blame on Travis is “a stretch.”
Legal expert, Bryan Sullivan, also told the outlet that blame can sometimes be put on an artist, but that might not be the case, involving Astroworld Fest. Travis’ lyrics and behavior at previous concerts are also seen as non-factors.
No Ad to show
“Hypothetically an artist can be held potentially liable. You can be a very violent person in an area where there was a fight, but not have thrown a punch. His reputation, lyrics, past behaviour, and legal troubles are “not enough to hold up in court.”
Travis May Be Dismissed From Lawsuits
Sullivan went on to state how legally, there has to be proof that Travis “engaged” in conduct, which resulted in the injuries and deaths, of the fans in attendance, back on November 5. He also added that due to these requirements, Travis may be avoiding any massive legal troubles, in the aftermath of his festival.
No Ad to show
“The law requires him to engage in specific conduct that incited the incidents…What did he do at Astroworld that night? That’s the question the courts will be asking.”
Handling Of Security Will Likely Receive Blame
In many of the lawsuits filed against Travis and organizers, they also cited how lack of strong security, was to blame. Attendees felt that there weren’t enough on-site, to help combat the chaos that was brought, that night. Legally, this could help Travis in his favor, as well, according to Rozansky.
$2 Billion Lawsuit Was Filed
Last week, another massive lawsuit was handed down against Travis and organizers of the Astroworld Festival, as this is a $2 billion suit. Over 200 victims are being represented by Thomas Henry, as this targets Travis Drake, NRG Stadium, Live Nation, and others.
This lawsuit stated that when Travis performed, fans were”incited into a frenzy.” Travis and organizers are also accused of not learning from the lack of precautions made, from their 2019 festival, which saw fans break fences, in order to get inside the venue.
“The Defendants stood to make an exorbitant amount of money off this event, yet they chose to cut corners, cut costs, and put the festival attendees at risk,” as stated in the $2 billion lawsuit.
Travis’ attorney, Edwin F. McPherson, told TMZ, that blaming this situation all on the rapper, is also wrong.
“There has been multiple finger-pointing, much of which has been by city officials, who have sent inconsistent messages and have backtracked from original statements. Houston Police Chief Troy Finner was quoted in the New York Times as saying, ‘You cannot just close when you got 50,000 and over 50,000 individuals. We have to worry about rioting, riots, when you have a group that’s that young.’ Yet, just a short time later, Chief Finner states the responsibility to stop the show falls on Travis.”