The royal family is at the core of Britain, and this is not just concerning its history and politics. For hundreds of years, they’ve been the center of public attention, and as technology evolved to reveal more information about people, it did not spare the royal family.
Today, fans can find unlimited information about them on devices, especially with the 24/7 dedication and coverage the press has on their lives. Unfortunately, not all the members of this family are willing to take this in stride, and a good example is the Duke and Duchess of Sussex, Prince Harry, and Meghan Markle.
Ever since they began their relationship in 2016, they’ve been outspoken about the intrusiveness of the British press. Despite this, reporters and journalists continued to grasp and print information about their relationships and personal lives. Eventually, the couple launched a lawsuit to tackle the constant defamation and invasion of their privacy.
This sparked many reactions all over the country, and one royal expert expressed that he believes the fight between the couple and the press was just the beginning as it would be more explosive. Here is all he had to say and more information about their privacy battles.
The Lawsuit Revealed Many Things
Markle and Harry launched their lawsuit against Associated Newspapers Limited (ANL) in 2019. The Newspaper company runs two of the most popular newspapers in the country, Mail on Sunday and Daily Mail. The suit contended that ANL wrongly published a letter that Markle wrote to Thomas Markle, her father, and that they printed out several statements intended to paint the couple in a bad light.
When the lawsuit became public knowledge, it revealed some information about Markle and Harry. An example was the messages released by the couple’s former press secretary, Jason Knauf. The messages revealed that the Duchess predicted her father would leak the letter.
According to a post by Newsweek, Meghan told Knauf in the messages that she was meticulous and deliberate about her word choice and that “if he (her father) leaks it then that’s on his conscience but at least the world will know the truth.”
Another piece of information that came to light contradicted the couple’s claims that they never contributed anything to “Finding Freedom,” the biography about their journey in the royal family so far. Knauf also made public the email conversations between him and Markle that revealed the information she gave him to share with the authors of the biography.
Royal Expert Thinks It Could Get Explosive
The couple’s history of clashes with the press has made them very infamous, and according to Russell Myers, a correspondent with the royal family, the lawsuit was just the beginning for Markle and Harry.
During an interview on the news show Today, Myers shared that he believed the lawsuit would become bigger, turn into a full trial, and drag the royal family into it.
He said, “This is just the beginning. If we do go a full trial, it’s going to be absolutely explosive, so get the popcorn out.”
Myers was one of the many royal experts who shared that the trial would trigger a much bigger legal scandal that would expose more information and affect the royal family.
Markle Won And Was Awarded Damages
This year, Markle won the lawsuit against ANL and was awarded $650,000 in legal fee recoupment damages.
According to an evaluation by PEOPLE, the legal fees she incurred for the suit were an estimated $1.88 million. The judge ordered that ANL pay the Duchess 90% of her legal fees for the case, starting with an interim payment of $650,000.
This leaves over a million dollars left to be paid to Markle for her lawyers. In his statement, the deciding judge, Judge Mark Warby, said the damages are what he believes to be the likely legal cost that Markle incurred while fighting the case.
He also stated that the damages are genuinely recoverable from ANL.
The Couple’s Publicity Has Been Declining
From the beginning of the relationship to their marriage in 2018, the media loved Harry and Meghan, highly praised, and followed. However, as the years passed, their individual and joint popularity and likability declined. They’ve gotten a lot of bad press recently, and the lawsuit certainly didn’t help.
According to rating site YouGov, Harry was placed at No. 9 on the popularity and 36% approval ratings. On the other hand, Markle came in at No. 14, almost last, and was given an approval rating of 28%.
Some of their bad press includes incidents such as their public criticism of the royal family in interviews, Meghan’s expensive clothing at meetings with underprivileged people, and so on.
Despite the negative press and declining popularity, the couple makes their public appearance with happy faces and remains true to themselves and their statements. With Harry’s expected memoir in 2022, the public opinion of the Sussexes could completely change or become even worse.