SEND US A TIP!CLICK OR 844.412.5278
Billie Eilish performing at an arena

Billie Eilish Is Just One Of The Few Reasons To Watch The 2020 Oscars

Gettyimages | Bryan Steffy
By Aja

Everyone knows the Oscars' audience numbers have decreased in recent years. Maybe back in the olden days, the Academy Awards were something to fret over but not in this modern age. Due to the 2016 #OscarsSoWhite movement, the Academy's President have sought ways to improve diversity and viewership. By doing so, they've selected Billie Eilish to perform at this year's Oscars. The Bad Guy singer is one of the most sought-after musicians in Hollywood right now and of course, the Academy wants in on the action.

Related to what you're reading:
ARTICLE CONTINUES BELOW

Her Road To Instant Fame

Billie Eilish at a live concert
Wikimedia | https://commons.wikimedia.org/wiki/File:Billie_Eilish_at_Pukkelpop_Festival_-_18_AUGUST_2019_(01).jpg

Eilish's rise to fame really kicked off at 8 years old, when she started writing songs and competing in talent shows. In her early teens, she uploaded her song Ocean Eyes to SoundCloud. The track got 1,000 plays and 35 million listeners, making it an unbelievable hit. Within just a few years, Eilish strikes gold by signing a deal with a record label company and the Bad Guy singer starts selling out arenas! The Oscars really went for the biggest fish in the pond!

Her Big Grammy Win!

Billie Eilish at the 2020 Grammys
Gettyimages | Alberto E. Rodriguez

Billie Eilish has become a household name for many fans, including the awards committee at the 2020 Grammys. The young singer dominated the show, winning a slew of awards including the biggest one at the end of the night, Album of the Year. The singer and her brother Finneas blew away audiences with their live duet performance of When The Party's Over. Admittedly, the song gave us chills! Her performance apparently caught the attention of the Oscars, too. To watch her recreate that same magnetic performance at the Academy Awards will be worth watching.

Billie Eilish To Perform At The Oscars

Billie Eilish singing at a concert
Gettyimages | Emma McIntyre

If the Ocean Eyes singer can top her Grammy performance at tonight's Oscars Award show, then all the more to her. The Academy will certainly like the added attention. They certainly seem to enjoy all the press surrounding what songs Eilish will perform. Many fans have already suspected she'll give a live performance of her theme song for the newest installment to the James Bond franchise No Time To Die. That's a lot of pressure to put on a 18 year-old, even for Billie Eilish. Even so, everyone's curious to see what the songstress will sing.

She Stands From The Crowd

Billie Eilish singing
Gettyimages | Dimitrios Kambouris

With the massive amount of success, record labels and up-and-coming artists have tried to duplicate what Billie Eilish has done. It's pretty obvious what makes Eilish a great singer; just being herself. Her boyish outfits and two-toned green locks make her different from all the rest. Not to mention, her painfully melodic voice challenges the usual doctrines of pop music. The fans want diversity and the awards show, even the Academy, strives to keep up with the changing times in music.

Some Critics Don't Want Eilish At The Oscars

Billie Eilish performing at a concert
Wikimedia | https://commons.wikimedia.org/wiki/File:Billie_Eilish_at_Pukkelpop_Festival_-_18_AUGUST_2019_(07).jpg

Long-time fans of the Oscars, however, have stirred up some controversy surrounding Billie Eilish's performance. Oddly enough, the public has mixed feelings. An online pole revealed that "23% of people don't believe Eilish deserves to perform on the show since its focus is on achievements in film." That's not that large of a percentage but when adding on the "18% that downright think the Oscars are using Eilish as a marketing tactic to promote higher viewership", that number suddenly increases. In total, 41% of critics don't think Billie Eilish deserves a shot at the Oscars. Ouch!

Load Comments
Next Article